[ 1 : i n n o c e n t - o u t l a w s ]

[☆]

Warnings: Suggestive comments (nothing explicit)

Spoilers: Agent Carter Season 1

[☆]

Peggy had barely placed her bag down on her desk when a scarlet light began flashing and a blaring alarm sounded. The agents in the bullpen reacted quickly, dropping whatever they were holding and marching purposefully towards the conference room.

"Agent Carter," the Brit turned to see Chief Dooley striding out of his office and past the front of her desk. "We just caught a redball out of D.C.. All hands on deck..."

In a quick manner with an air of dutifulness, she grabbed the clipboard in front of her and moved to hurry after him, stopping short at his interruption.

"...meaning, cover the phones."

Like hell she was just going to sit in here doing the dirty work, missing the action that was always left selfishly to the men; she was just as capable, if not more so, as all of the agents in there. With an indignant frown, she turned and curtly picked up the phone on her desk. "Rose, forward all calls to the briefing room." She slammed the handset back into its receiver pointedly and turned to find a disgruntled, but weary, Dooley glowering at her.

"Covered," she fought the urge to smirk as she marched past him. "Shall we?"

As she stepped into the room now filled with agents, he refused to even look at her, as if he could simply pretend she wasn't there, but he knew that she'd undoubtedly make her unwanted presence known at some point. He sighed and shook his head before following her into the room.

A fanfare played as the projection film started, flashing the words 'Millionaire... Playboy... Traitor?' onto the screen. Peggy rolled her eyes – scandals were always dramatically exaggerated for entertainment these days – was ordinary life really that boring that a series of white capital letters were needed to liven things up?

"Americans have long followed the career of inventor Howard Stark..."

Despite herself, Peggy smiled softly as images of her friend flashed onto the screen, bringing up memories of their exploits in the war with Erskine and Steve...

Her gentle memories ended abruptedly to allow her to roll her eyes as at least seven different women appeared in images and video recordings with Howard on several occasions. She did hope he'd settle down at some point, though admittedly, she couldn't envision it.

"...accused of selling weapons to the enemy, the founder of Stark Industries was recently called to Capitol Hill."

This had been in her mind already since that morning when she'd read the headline of the newspapers, and it still sounded as ridiculous as before. She knew Howard was careless and impulsive at best, but his deepest loyalties were unwavering; he'd never do something as irresponsible and treasonous as selling his inventions to the enemy, especially since he knew their extraordinary potential thanks to his high intelligence and boundless arrogance.

Her eyes rolled again as Howard made a witty comment in response to a question he'd been asked regarding the weapons. This entire ordeal would be so much easier for him if he took it seriously, but she knew that was something he was incapable of.

The clip continued.

"The much-loved actress and international celebrity icon, Miss Tonya Stark, is also suspected of being involved in Howard Stark's crimes..."

A few of the men shuffled uncomfortably. Peggy rolled her eyes; they always got like this when a woman was involved, especially one as beautiful as Tonya. She did feel a pang of fear though – she was as good friends with Tonya as she was Howard, and she knew that, despite her cheeky personality, the actress was practically a saint and clever enough to not get roped into such misdeeds. She only wished she could say the same for Howard.