[ 1 5 : b u s i n e s s - a n d - s a n d w i c h e s ]

[☆]

Warnings: A few suggestive remarks, mention of sleeping with someone, but nothing at all explicit, mentions of violence and war, reference to domestic abuse (I just want to note, I'm not trying to make light of any of the issues mentioned in the warnings in my writing, and if it comes across like that, please let me know so I can fix it. I only include them, because I feel I wouldn't be doing the show or the time period it's set in justice by ignoring them. My only intent is for purposes of the story and I genuinely don't want to upset anyone, so please let me know if I ever do)

Spoilers: Agent Carter Season 1

[☆]

Jack hadn't really thought about it properly until the bell jingling above the door seemed to bring him to his senses. Of course, his favourite sandwich joint had been the first place to pop into his mind at the mention of lunch, but he probably should have considered his lunch guest when making his decision. Looking around the place now, it seemed duller and plainer than he usually saw it, but maybe that was just the actress' habit of absorbing the spotlight of every room she entered. On second thought, he should have taken her somewhere fancier, somewhere she would fit in even if he didn't. His mind raced for a way to backtrack the situation he'd landed himself in, but Tonya had turned around before he had a chance to form a proper plan. However, to his utter surprise – and relief – she seemed to be smiling beneath her veil.

"This is perfect."

It was hard to tell whether she was being serious, but it always seemed that way with her. He knew for a fact though that she would not be afraid to voice her opinions if she was unsatisfied, and no such opinions were made vocal, so he returned her smile and escorted her to one of the quieter booths in the corner.

Despite her apparent satisfaction, Jack still felt the need to offer an explanation. "This was the first place I thought of. If it's a slow day at the office, I usually come here for lunch – they've got good sandwiches."

Tonya nodded with a small smile and looked around them from where they were sat. "I like it."

He wasn't sure why, but her approval of his favourite sandwich bar gave him a sense of achievement. Before he could dwell on that thought, however, someone had suddenly appeared beside their table.

"Hey, Jack."

He felt himself tense involuntarily for the first time ever on hearing this familiar voice. Ordinarily, he enjoyed the back and to flirtations he had with this waitress – it was arguably one of the reasons this joint was his favourite – but for some reason it seemed uncouth to continue the game in Tonya's company. The waitress didn't seem to care; in fact, he wondered if she'd even noticed Tonya sitting there at all, though how anyone could be blind to such a presence was unknown to him.

"Hi..." – his eyes flicked to her name badge – "...Darlene." He nodded with a smile, trying to sound casual as he glanced at Tonya who seemed engaged in the details of the menu that he had handed her from the rack by the door.

Darlene hadn't even looked at Tonya. She practically had her back to the actress as she faced Jack, as though she was trying to block her from existence. "You don't usually sit over this side. Don't you want to keep me company up at the bar?" She appeared to be forcing as many teeth as she could into her smile.

Jack chuckled nervously and glimpsed Tonya still studying the menu. He wondered whether the two women had silently challenged one another to see who could ignore the other the longest. "I'm here on business, actually, so we're just gonna order from here today." He nodded at Tonya, hoping to diffuse some of the rising tension. Darlene finally turned her head to glance at Tonya, who gave her a sarcastic kind of wave. The waitress acknowledged this with nothing more than a raise of her eyebrows before turning back to Jack.