[ 2 0 : t h e - S o u t h - S i d e - p i e r ]

[☆]

Warnings: Violence, broken bones, fight scenes, minor car crash and use of weapons

Spoilers: Agent Carter Season 1

[☆]

"Careful what you reveal on this line, I've got a whole sandwich bar watching me now since they announced my name for the call..." Tonya muttered, trying to appear outwardly casual about her illicit-based phone call.

"I'm terribly sorry, I never thought to issue us with codenames..."

Tonya had to duck away from the phone momentarily to stifle her laugh. "Codenames, Jarvis? You really are getting into this espionage lifestyle, aren't you?"

Her jibes had clearly been misinterpreted when his proud reply sounded down the phone. "Oh, do you think so? I have been rather enjoying myself."

She was relieved to hear that he hadn't let his run in at the S.S.R. get to him too badly. "What codenames would you give us then?"

"Well, personally I think 'Dangerous Debonair' suits me–"

She was thankful for the small scuffle that followed, as it allowed her uncontained laughter to go unheard – Jarvis seemed to have confused codenames with superhero names. She chuckled more as she heard two indignantly bickering British accents before Peggy's voice came down the line. "Since Mr Jarvis doesn't seem capable of getting to the point: we called to say we've found Howard's stolen inventions."

Tonya gasped and beamed. "This is exactly why Howard recruited you Peg, you're a star. Where should I meet you?"

"We'll pick you up."

"No, no, there's no time to waste," hushing her voice again as she realised she'd grown louder in her excitement when a few heads turned her way. "You get going – I'll meet you there."

"They're on the 'Heartbreak' in a dock near the South Side pier – the boat has Mr Brannis' symbol on the side."

"Okay, I'll be there as soon as I can."

***

It would be a decidedly bad move to have the taxi drop her off right by the dock – if anything got followed up, she'd be landed right near the scene in question – but she was hugely regretting her choice of footwear for the extra walking.

"Yeah, Howard Stark's stolen inventions – they're on a boat..."

She froze as she heard an odd American voice as she reached Dock 12. Had someone got there first? Were Peggy and Jarvis here? Did they know? As quietly as she could, she picked up a loose metal rod from the ground and crept the last few steps to peer around the wall at the man on the phone.

"Just a pal."

The man sounded slightly panicked – not at all what a man apparently involved in such suspicious circumstances should sound like, though Jarvis was often admittedly an anomaly to that fact. Jarvis! It was Jarvis on the phone call. She wasn't sure how much more of the butler's amusing antics she could take today as she found herself suppressing her laughter for what must have been the fifth time in the last hour.

The butler practically threw the phone back onto the wall with a hurried: "Have a lovely night!". Tonya smirked and rounded the corner completely.

"What the hell was that?"

Jarvis gave a yelp and whipped round. "Miss Stark! You frightened the life out of me, I–" he paused, anxiously focusing on the metal rod still in her hand. "Were you going to assault me?"