Chapter Five

Taking a quick shower, I dressed in a pair of leggings and a long sleeved V-neck fitted shirt. I slipped into my tennis shoes and laced them tightly. I threw a sweat band over my edges. I snatched my headphones off of my desk and jacket off of the chair before walking out of the door room. My keys and cell phone were secured in my bra before I jogged down the steps and out the front door. I smiled at everyone who greeted me as I walked through the quad. I did not feel like socializing with anyone. I wanted to be in my zone where I could gather my thoughts and figure out a few things about Brooklyn. 

Around forty-five minutes later, I had just finished my last pirouette. I was a dancer. Not a hip hop dancer. No, I got a chance to wear tutus and leotards. I had taken dance ever since I was a little girl and I loved it. Dancing made me feel so free. I had a chance to be someone else when I danced. Or maybe not, maybe dancing was giving me a chance to be myself. 

I turned to the loud clapping sound echoing the room filled with mirrors. There he stood; six foot with a double dose of chocolate skin, his beard covered face. I could see his physique through his shirt.

     “Nice,” he said, his voice so heavy with masculinity

    “Um, thanks. I’m done, you can get the room.” I told him as I picked up my iPod from off of the floor.

     “Oh nah, you good; I don’t need the room. I was lookin for somebody.” I nodded my head while making my way over to the door. 

     “Oh, well I’m still done for whoever needs to use it. You take care.” I said to him as I squeezed pass him and out of the dance room. It wasn’t that I was not interested in him; I just wanted that day to be about me, without any type of men around. I walked back out into the late October breeze. 

Halloween was in a week and I had been invited to a party but had absolutely nothing to wear. I began looking through my phone at all of my unanswered text messages when I heard the same guy call my name. I stopped walking and turned to look at him.

     "Can I help you?" I said to him. 

     "Uh, yeah, are you busy right now?"

     "Yeah, I have a meeting with some me time, why?" 

     His eyes shifted to what was behind me before looking me in my face, "I just wanted to see if we can talk," he said, "Over lunch,"

     "Talk" I repeated, "Over lunch" I couldn’t help but to chuckle a little bit. “You’re that guy that was staring at me at Dez party a couple weeks ago.” I said letting him know that I had seen him watching me. “Look if you just want to fuck let me know. I don’t do the whole take me out, treat me nice, fuck me then leave me bid.”

     "Oh nah, that's not it, but I'll keep that in mind for a later date." He smirked. I rolled my eyes, "I'm actually doing a project for my human sexuality class and I thought you would be a great person to help me."

     "You don't even know me, how could I help you."

     "My project is on sexual behavior between men and woman," He explained, "I ain’t tryna go on you, but, your name is all up and down this campus."

     "So you want me to help you because people say I'm a hoe?" I asked feeling a bit insulted.

     "I want you to help me because you find liberation in sex; does that make you a hoe?" he inquired. I let out a quick laugh as I looked down at my feet. He had a way with his words, but if only he knew. I knew I was a loose end. I slept with every nigga on campus that wasn’t gay, including Desmond; but I wasn’t going to tell Alysia that, that would break her heart. I took a deep breath before looking at him,