Chapter Fifty

I moaned.

My leg burned, but there was nothing I could do to stop it. I wasn't even sure what I was looking at. The world was dark, but above the darkness was a sliver of light. I blinked. And a person.

Where on Earth was I?

The last few moments came back to me in flashes. Seeing Asten's face. Falling backwards down the trash chute. Darkness...more darkness...

Had I passed out on the way down? I didn't want to look at my leg. I knew it must have been bleeding pretty terribly.

"Help...," I groaned out. I tried to push myself up, but I was covered in trash. I could feel my elbow, but the more I pushed down, the more I seemed to sink. 

My face was half submerged, but I saw again the light. And I saw the person standing there...who was now running towards me.

I closed my eyes.

Warm, hands grabbed my arms and began tugging me. I let out a gasp, as pain lanced up my leg. I squeezed my eyes shut, but the person kept pulling and pulling until I came to a stop on solid ground.

I opened my eyes.

Black curly hair, a round face, light brown skin. Concern creased his forehead. He looked barely older than me. My gaze then fell on the piles behind him. We were in a trash yard of some sort.

In the Equator.

I was in the Equator.

I felt like vomiting.

"Hello? Um...uh...can you speak?" the boy cautiously murmured. There was a shout from behind him and he turned around. "Call someone for help!"

That couldn't happen.

I reached out and grabbed the boy's arm quickly. "No...no. Don't do that. Please." The look he gave me was one of utter disbelief...and a bit of him thinking I was crazy.

"Sorry...you need help," he replied. He at least seemed a little guilty. "I'm not just gonna..."

Whoever the boy had been talking to appeared at his side. "Kid, what the hell?!" the man shouted.

"I know! I don't know. She was lying in the trash. Did you call?" the boy responded.

The man rolled his eyes. "Yes, I called. Do you think I'm dull? They'll be here in five minutes."

"Five minutes?! Really?"

"Yes, five minutes! What's the rush? She can just get a new body. Doesn't seem like she's dying," the man replied, crossing his arms.

The boy looked down at me again, seeming unsure of himself. I started to feel panicked.

If they, who I assumed were police of some sort, came, I'd be done with. There wouldn't be any second life.

I gripped the boy's arm tighter, causing him to look at me. "Please, please, please...don't have them come. Don't let them come. Please," I muttered. I probably sounded crazy, but I needed to tell him. He needed to get me out of there. I couldn't go on my own.

He reached towards my head, and I flinched. But he simply brushed my hair out of my face and behind my ear. It was a little odd, but all I could care about was getting to safety. So, whatever Asten had done was not for nothing.

I didn't want to think about Asten.

In my head, he was still safe. He was safe. He'd made it out.

I couldn't afford to think otherwise.

The boy turned to the man. "Call them off actually." He said it in such a casual tone I nearly didn't catch it. For a second, I wondered if I'd misheard him.

The man frowned. "What? Now you want them gone?!"

"Davis, please. Just do this one thing for me. I'll...I'll buy you something. Next time I come."

I thought the man, Davis, would just scoff and abandon us, but he began pulling out his phone. "I swear...It better be a hell of a present, boy. It's a good thing I trust you."

I squeezed my eyes shut as another wave of pain wracked my body. I didn't know what would happen to my leg. I couldn't tell just how bad it was. But I had a feeling falling into a pile of trash definitely hadn't helped.

"And help me bring her onto my bike."

Davis did let out a scoff at that. "You're kidding. You're taking this chick home with you?"

"Yes, and as my friend, I expect you to understand."

Davis looked tempted to continue to argue, but he shook his head and gave up. "Whatever, kid. Don't really get what this is about. She's going to need a new body anyway. Good luck, though."

I knew what would happen next. I'd be picked up. I really didn't want to move. Everything hurt.

But sometimes we had to do things we didn't really want to do.

I definitely blacked out.