Chapter Twenty

"Is that a joke?" I blurted out, forgetting that the kid still had a gun.

He stared at me with a quizzical expression. "Why would we be joking?"

"Because you're kids! You're like us...you know what the gangs do...it's slavery," I replied, becoming angry that people like them could even consider doing this.

The boy just shook his head quickly as if I'd gotten it all wrong. "It's not slavery...let's call it indentured servitude."

I rolled my eyes. "Look, how do we know you won't hold us at gunpoint and force us to work for you? How do we know you don't already work for a gang?"

He just crossed his arms, also seemingly forgetting about the gun which was precariously close to pointing at the little girl. I was hoping one of the older boys standing behind the 12-year-old would do something about it. I didn't get why they weren't the ones conversing with us. One of them, a tall blonde guy, met my gaze. He still didn't speak a word.

"Trust. That's how," the boy replied, as if he'd had this conversation a million times already. I looked over at Kyan and January, who both seemed just as hopeless as I did. The problem was that I didn't know where else to get supplies...and if we did go back into the city, it was possible we'd just get picked up by an actual gang. This group seemed like the best of our terrible options.

We definitely needed supplies, too, and fast. If we didn't get them, I wasn't sure we'd make it to Asten in time.

I got an idea.

"Look...okay. How about this? We're headed out to meet with another friend...if you give us supplies now, we'll bring him back with us, and we'll all work for you guys on whatever it is that you need. Deal?" I offered, hoping nobody on our side would kill me for making the deal. I heard Max scoff from behind me. I didn't care. We needed this.

The boy squinted at us, seeming suspicious. "And how do we know you won't just take the supplies and ditch us? How can we trust you'll actually come back?"

I let out a defeated sigh. I honestly wasn't sure.

January suddenly spoke up from next to me. "I'll stay behind. They'll come back for me...," she said. Immediately, I was going to protest. I didn't want her to be stuck here with these people that we barely knew.

Then, a new voice chimed in right after hers. "No, I  will," Max said, stepping forward so he stood next to me. He looked at us with raised eyebrows. "I honestly don't wanna go on this Equatorial quest that you all speak of...so....."

None of the other group had said a word, yet, but they seemed a little unsettled. Suddenly, they grouped together again, whispering among themselves. I looked at Max. "Are you sure? We can't exactly trust these people..."

He just nodded stiffly. "I know that. But I think this is where I'd be most useful."

For the first time since I met him, I was actually kind of okay with Max. He wasn't as irritating as I'd thought. I appreciated it, but also felt bad for letting him take this.

Their group quickly broke apart once more and the kid stepped forward once more. "We have come to a decision," he announced, as if he were talking to a much larger audience of people.

"And?"

"We think a better plan...," he began, and I became nervous. A better plan? Did that mean they'd thought of something different? The boy glanced behind him and the other older boy, who wasn't tall and blonde, stepped forward. He had a bit of a limp, but he seemed confident enough in himself. His expression was blank, as if he were trying to hide it. "We would like to offer this instead. You guys can go ahead on your mission, but you need to take Elijah with you."

The boy just nodded at us. He had semi-dark skin, dark brown hair, and bright green eyes. Now that he was in the light, I realized he was a little younger than I'd originally perceived him to be. Perhaps, a year or two younger than me. 

"And you trust us not to kill him?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

The little boy smiled. "Well...if you guys were cold-blooded killers, we would probably be dead by now."

I guess he had a point. I just sighed. I didn't mind not getting rid of Max, but I was a little nervous about having an extra team member.

"So, is it a deal?" the boy asked, holding out a hand.

I looked at the others for thoughts. Kyan subtly nodded. I grabbed the boy's hand, cold and worn from months in the frozen weather.

"Deal."