Popular Girl Val

Tick...
Tick..
Tick...
Tick..

The sound of the pendulum clock kept going and hopefully would not stop. At least not yet.

Val stared intently at the clock in a shadowy corner of her very small "room".
It was on the wall staring straight back at her.

The minute hand teased her to no end. She already couldn't stand the annoying sound.

"6 o'clock" is all she thinks.

Val sits on her cot fully clothed and ready to leap out of her skin.

The sun was nowhere near arriving and that was just the way she liked it.

Everyone's usually asleep at this time and it gives her time to be a night owl.

Many nights she stayed up until it was time to start a new day doing whatever she pleased.

Watching TV and building things were two things that bring her out of the horror that is her life or rather the horror that she thinks her life is.

It was only 5:59, but she had had enough of the taunting.

Val rose from her stingy bed and inhaled the stale, cold air around her that smelled of nothing but pure joy.

She was so excited to get a move on and make it to her school just to escape her own boredom that she completely forgot that her all white backpack was beneath her feet and fell forward.

Without even thinking, she caught her herself with both hands. Her face was only a millimeter away from her wooden floorboard. If she hadn't caught her fall, her nose definitely would've broken.

She rolled over to her left side and stared down at her shoes all tangled up in the strings from her backpack.

It was a struggle to free herself from the highly tangled, thick straps, especially since she couldn't even discern her shoes from the darn things, all thanks going to the darkness of her room.

When finally free she took a deep breath. She was already behind schedule.

Woof!

Val's eyes automatically shot to the eye-less golden retriever standing in her door frame.

"Shhh," she whispers to the dog. She knew that him hearing her voice would calm him down and help him find his way to her.

Guy (the dog) was scared of everything and often looked to his owners for reassuring that everything is alright and that they don't need him to kick anybody's butt.

He walks over to Val fast and licks her entire face while also sniffing her hair as she pat his luscious mane.

"Alright. Alright," she says to him in the middle of his lick fest. Val knows it's time to go when she hears her 19 year old sister talk.

"Don't try it," her sister mumbles quietly, obviously disturbed by her dream.

She looks down to the dog once she's fully stood and stares at where his eyes should be.

"I'm going to walk," she points to the cracked door whence the dog came, "out of that door. Be good and don't bark, otherwise you'll wake up Amanda. I'll be back home in no time."

She blows a kiss toward the dog and tip toes out of her room.

The floor boards to the house were old and creaked at the presence of wind, but that didn't stop Val from making an effort of being absolutely quiet.

She passed the bedroom of her mother on her way to the staircase. The door was cracked enough to see her mother's peaceful face. Her mouth was wide open and there was drool coming out of her mouth.