So-called Devil

The road to Gulet was long and dangerous; Geralt and the Howlett family eventually made camp for the night. As everyone did their part to help, Connor played with Enzo and Ava while Nova and her pack rested. After their camp was set up, Lydia asked Geralt to watch Connor while talking with Logan privately. Logan and Lydia walked far from camp without wanting their conversation to be heard. Nervously looking at her father, Lydia says,

"We need to start looking for a way home. We don't belong here, Dad. I...can't raise my son... in a world we know nothing about."

"I know, little wolf. We need to think about what's best for Connor." Logan agreed.

"I love my son more than life itself, but I also- -" Lydia stopped mid-sentence.

"You're in love with Geralt." Logan finished as he saw his daughter nod.

"The thought of leaving him hurts so much more than the day that I lost Kaiden. My heart feels like it's breaking in half. I will lose an important part of myself that can't be replaced. I don't know what to do." Lydia said in a small voice as her eyes filled with unshed tears. She looked so lost.

Hugging his little girl, Logan felt Lydia's tears soak his shirt.

"I had a feeling that Geralt was your mate," Logan said, hearing his daughter weakly laugh. "Have you thought about asking him to come with us?"

"I've thought about asking Geralt, but I didn't want to be selfish. It wouldn't feel right to take him away from the only life he's ever known." Lydia whispers against her dad's shirt.

"I've seen how he looks at you when he thinks Connor and I aren't watching," Logan told his daughter. "That man loves you. And by taking away Geralt's choice and making it for him, you're being selfish. You need to let him decide what he wants, little wolf."

"Who knew you could be a big softie," Lydia joked, wiping away her tears.

"I have my moments," Logan shrugged, a smile forming at the corners of his mouth.

Connor watched Geralt sharpen his sword until he spotted Geralt's wolf pendant. Holding his father's amulet in his hand, Connor noticed the differences between the two. He had a silver wolf head with a rune symbol, while Geralt had a wolf fiercely baring its fangs. Where did Geralt get his pendant from? Connor wondered.

Quickly catching the inquisitive boy staring at his pendant, Geralt only said,

"You like wolves?"

"I love them," Connor petted Enzo and Ava, "You remind me of a white wolf. I remember this book that my mom gave me a year ago. And from what I can recall, they're brilliant, territorial, and loners."

For an eight-year-old boy, Geralt was impressed by Connor's intelligence.

"Wolf packs only have one alpha, but our pack has two." Connor pointed out. "Maybe that's why you and my grandpa didn't get along until now."

He'd never thought of it that way; Geralt had only assumed that Logan didn't like him.

Lydia and Logan soon returned to camp. Connor talked with his mother while Logan walked away, motioning for Geralt to follow. Deciding to know what Logan wanted, Geralt quickly followed him. They both walked far away from a hearing distance. It seemed unusual to Geralt. Stopping in his tracks, he quickly noticed Logan standing before him with his arms crossed.

"I know you have feelings for my daughter, and I'm telling you now that if you hurt her, I'll gut you and leave you for the wolves." Logan warningly says in a severe tone.