Question of Happiness

Geralt and Logan made their way into the manor, hearing chanting in elder. Following the sound of chants, the two men stepped into the bedroom. As they were entering, Yennefer lifted her hand in their direction, ready to stop them if they got in her way.

"We're here to help you, Darlin'," Logan said.

"I don't need your help," Yennefer lowers her hand, wondering why Logan wanted to help her. "You're both free. No longer under my spell."

"And yet here I am, Darlin'," Logan voiced with a stubborn gleam in his eyes.

"You and the Witcher both seem to want to meet your end," Yennefer spoke as the ritual continued.

"As do you," Geralt said, hoping Yennefer would see reason.

"The djinn isn't weakening. The bard expressed his last wish, but it's-" Yennefer groaned, the djinn's power was overwhelming her. "it's getting stronger! Go!"

Anyone else would've immediately walked away, leaving the foolish sorceress to die. And yet here Geralt was, risking his life to help Logan save a stubborn woman who was hell-bent on obtaining power at the cost of her life. Geralt didn't know whether it was the constant guilt that he felt for killing Renfri or Lydia's kind and compassionate nature rubbing off on him. Still, one thing was for sure: if he could prevent another unnecessary death from happening, then he'd do everything in his power to stop it.

She's turning me into a big softy. Geralt lovingly thought of Lydia before quickly refocusing on the dangerous situation that he was in. Staring at the sorceress, Geralt only says,

"That's because I'm the one with the wishes."

"You? You're the djinn's master," Yennefer said, surprised by what Geralt revealed.

"Yeah," Geralt uttered.

Jaskier, Geralt, and I fought over that cursed pot; any of us could be the Djinn's master. Well, I can already rule out the bard since his last wish didn't work. So it's either Geralt or me. Logan thought as Yennefer struggled to keep the Djinn inside of her.

"Well, what are you waiting for," Yennefer screamed as her bones suddenly began to crack. "Make your wishes!"

Even though Logan didn't know Yennefer very well, he couldn't stand to see her in agony.

"Don't do this, Darlin', it's not worth it," Logan said as he heard Yennefer scream in pain.

How can she not see what that damned thing is doing to her? No amount of power is worth going through that much pain. Logan frowned, feeling powerless to help Yennefer.

Trying one last time to make Yennefer see reason, Geralt shouted,

"Becoming the vessel for the djinn will have you lose control, not gain it! Can't you see what this is doing to you?"

"True transformation is painful," Yennefer said in pain.

"Release the Djinn," Geralt yelled.

"I'll give you my last wish," Geralt told Yennefer, making Logan nod in approval.

"You heroic protector...," Yennefer said as the pain that she felt started to get worse. "...noble dog, permitting my success so long as you command it yourself."

"Fuck off," Yennefer screamed, refusing Geralt's offer. "I'll do this myself!"

"Damn it, Darlin'! What do you want," Logan shouted, listening to Yennefer's body crackling.