Connor's Gift

*Connor talking to animals telepathically*
*Animals talking/thoughts*

Connor and Logan strolled through the streets of Temeria with Enzo perched on Connor's shoulder and Ava on Logan's while leading Aeris and Roach by their reins. The two weasels weren't very happy with Lydia for not taking them with her and Geralt. While they were roaming around, Connor glanced over at his grandfather, curiously asking,

"Grandpa? Do you think Geralt will be happy that we brought Roach?"

"I didn't trust that shady innkeeper not to sell him. So he'll thank us eventually," Logan shrugged.

Reaching into his pack, Connor pulled out a silver ore he found inside the mine the other day. Thinking about how he'd use it, Connor decided to have it turned into a ring for Geralt. The young boy put a lot of thought into it, but now there was only one problem: he didn't know what type of ring he wanted to have made for the Witcher. As Connor led Roach, he thought about the wolf on Geralt's silver medallion. It didn't take long for an idea to pop into his head suddenly.

"Hey, Grandpa," Connor inquisitively asks. "What are those rings with family symbols called?"

"Signet rings," Logan answered as he longed for a Cuban cigar. "Why?"

"Do you remember that piece of silver ore that I found inside the mine yesterday," Connor said, sounding excited. "I want to have it turned into a ring for Geralt."

Thinking that the idea was very thoughtful of his grandson, Logan decided to help him out.

"Do you know what symbol you want on the ring," Logan asked, a small smile tugged at the corners of his mouth when he saw how excited his grandson looked.

"I'd like it to have the same wolf symbol as the one on Geralt's medallion," Connor beamed. "He is the White Wolf, after all."

Connor took a liking to him quickly. I don't blame him; Geralt's also starting to grow on me. Logan thought.

*I still can't believe that Mistress left us* Enzo pouted.

*Let's give her a piece of our mind for leaving us behind* Ava chirped.

*I'm sure my mom had a good reason for not taking both of you with her* Connor pointed out to them.

*I feel so betrayed* Ava dramatically says, making Connor roll his eyes at their antics.

Tired of listening to Enzo and Ava angrily hissing, Logan pulls out dried rabbit meat into his pack. As soon as the two weasels caught a whiff of it, Enzo immediately leaps off Connor's shoulder and onto Logan's. Eying the dried meat longingly, Logan started tearing off some pieces and handing them to them. Chirping happily, the two weasels enjoy their snack. Connor and Logan both chuckled as they searched for a blacksmith.

After finding a blacksmith, Logan soon spoke with the owner about having a ring crafted. Surprisingly, the blacksmith didn't demand to be paid until after he finished. Connor handed over the ore that he found to the blacksmith and described the ring he wanted him to craft. After listening to the young boy tell him about the size, style, and design, the blacksmith went to work on making the ring. Before leaving to create the ring, the man told Logan it'd be ready in two weeks.

"Thank you, Grandpa," Connor says, quickly hugging Logan.

"You're welcome," Logan tells him, affectionately ruffling Connor's hair.

"I don't know about you, but I'm hungry," Connor said, his stomach growling.

"How about we grab a bite to eat," Logan suggested.

Heading to the closest tavern, they put Aeris and Roach in the stables. As soon as they stepped inside, the foul smell of vomit, shit, piss, and rat feces reached their noses, making them both gag. How can anyone eat here? It's disgusting! Connor and Logan thought at the same time. Despite the tavern smelling worse than a bag of sweaty gym clothes, they quickly grabbed an empty table and sat down. A serving girl suddenly stopped by their table when she noticed Connor.

"Is he your son," asked the woman.

"He's my grandfather," Connor said, biting back a laugh when he saw the shocked expression on the woman's face. "May we both have some food, ale, and water, please?"

Once her shock wore off, the woman went to fetch them their food and drinks.

"The ale's for you," Connor shrugged, and Logan nodded. "Why do adults like to drink that crap?"

"You'll understand when you're older," Logan tells him, seeing the woman return with their meal and drinks.

Connor was given stew with a plate of bread, fruit, and cheese, while Logan received the same thing as him. The meat in the stew smelled overcooked, and the broth was very salty. And the moment they took a bite, they instantly regretted it. Connor and Logan pushed the rancid stew aside and ate what was on their plates instead. As Logan was drinking his ale, he noticed four men playing cards. One of the men was losing badly.

"Up for a game of cards, kid," Logan grinned.

"Always," Connor said with a toothy grin. "Let's show them how it's done, Grandpa."

Two hours later, after playing five rounds of cards, Logan paid for their meals before Connor and walked out of the tavern with four new coin purses full of orens. Heading to the stables to retrieve the horses, Connor saw Ava and Enzo climb into his grandfather's pack and then heard them eat the last of the dried rabbit meat. After recovering, Aeris, Roach, Logan, and Connor went to look for an inn. When they finally found one, Logan led Roach and Aeris to the inn's stable outback with Connor, then walked inside. Logan soon paid the innkeeper for a room for two weeks and two hot baths each. Connor and Logan walked up the stairs and down the hall to their room. Quickly opening the door, they move inside, and Logan closes the door behind him before Connor and he set down their packs.

Suddenly hearing a loud knock, Logan opens the door to find three women carrying a tub and buckets of hot water. He steps aside, allowing the maids to bring the tub into the room. After they set down the tub and buckets, they gave Logan two nice-smelling soaps, towels, and wash rags before they left. Deciding to let Connor bathe first, Logan flops on the soft bed, tiredly saying,

"I'm going to take a nap. Wake me up after you're done, kid."

While his grandpa was napping, Connor started to pour the buckets of hot water into the tub. Once he was through, Connor removed his filthy clothes and got in the tub. Since his hair was so short, it didn't take him long to wash it. When Connor's hair was thoroughly clean, he washed his body next. Finally clean, Connor dried off and changed into nice, clean clothes before waking Logan up.

The maids soon returned to empty the tub and refill it with hot water for Logan. Taking his time, Logan relaxed in the tub before washing. Once he was clean, Logan quickly put on clean clothes, and then he took Connor downstairs to eat a good meal and listen to music. With their stomachs full, they sat by the fire downstairs; Logan started smoking half of a cigar while Connor played with Ava and Enzo. Logan soon puts out his Cuban cigar in his hand when Connor wrinkles his nose and says,

"That's gross, Grandpa."

Logan chuckled at grossing his grandson out.