Chapter 11

Gwen pov

      I quietly sat beside the door, waiting  patiently for a surprise. I expected presents,  cake and so much more, after all ten year old  kids dreamed of such things on their  birthday. I had no memory of someone actually remembering my birthday. Every  year I would wait for someone to barge into  my room at midnight and wake me up with confetti and wishes. But again it never  happened.

So this year to avoid disappointment I had asked the cook in advance to bake a cake for  my birthday. I waited so that my parents  would come, then I could cut it and feed them  delicious chocolate cake. Half past three, no  one ever came. Did I expect a different  outcome.

My parents were on the brink of making  their career, they were allowed to miss my birthday, I reassured myself. They needed perfection any fault would hinder their  career. That's the reason they never took me  to those high class parties they went, you are  too reckless, too childish, you will make a  fool out of me was what they told me.

It was actually true, I could not tell poems by heart, I could not dance and sing. Since Lily  could do that she went and met so many  people, she could eat sweets and cakes and  expensive food, while I had to be babysat.

Lily was so charming, so bubbly. People  would instantly fall in love with her smile.  And me, I would skirt around the curtains,  awkwardly gawking at people. When I did  open my mouth I made a fool out of myself.

"Gwen, go to bed. Your parents are    returning after two days." My nanny warned. I nodded, of course my birthday was not important enough to cancel their plans. I  hummed in what Lily called a scratchy voice  happy birthday song, and cut into the cake.

The first time I did cut a cake, I was alone.  Tears spilled out of my eyes, but still I pushed  a slice into my mouth. This was my first  birthday cake, I will not let it go to waste,  even if  I'm  alone.

*****

"This is the first time, you are meeting my  partners. Do me a favour and be good." Mama  warned.

Translation be like your sister Lily. They  sometimes did forget that I'm my own  person, and not clay that they could mold  like Lily. I nodded tugging  on the end of my  dress. People make me uncomfortable, being  with my family had made me self  conscious  and gave rise to insecurities. I feared not to  be good enough.

"Meet Adam Rian your new friend."  Dad  said gesturing to a scrawny boy, with a  highly irritated look. He looked mad enough  to set the whole building on fire. If you ask  my opinion he was somewhere like a cross  breed between a hippo and a monkey. How I came up with that don't ask me.

"What do you do?" One man with thick eyebrows asked me.

"Not anything impressive, she goes around boxing and wants to take up business  studies." Dad said  unconcerned. "However  Lily here is learning ballet and taking up  engineering like her old man."

Yes, folks nothing impressive about me.  What's impressive is my sister can make  twenty rounds standing in one place while I  can knock out a guy in ten minutes, see  nothing special about me. All attention  shifted to Lily, she was happy her eyes lit up  and she started telling everyone about her  latest performance.

Adam tugged on my hair, causing me to kick  him in the shins. He yelped in  pain, but  concealed it in the form of a cough. As I  hungrily took the last cup of pudding, Adam like the idiot he is tried to snatch it out of my hand.

Ask me for my life, I'll give it. But don't dare  ask for my food. With the constant tugging  we had going on, the cup splattered onto the  floor causing everyone to look at us oddly.
My cheeks flushed. I didn't like people's  attention.