Chapter 6

Gwen's pov

My fists collided with the punching bag, the sound resonating around the room. I  punched harder, even though my body and  brain screamed at me to stop, my knees  would buckle, my weight sagging and  pulling me down. But still I punched,  because I need to feel this pain.

I wiped tears out of the corner of my eyes, resuming its original position, wrists up  chin tucked in. This was one of the first  things I learnt in boxing classes. Never let  your opponent strike your face, it will lead  to a total knock out.

When I  was a kid, I didn't exactly have people at my beck and call. I craved someone who  would love me. But then this happened and I realised it was all a fantasy of a little girl. I didn't know  how to deal with the pain, so I joined boxing classes it would give me a way to vent out my  frustration.

I  moved  around  the  punching  bag, another  rule always  stay  in  motion,  figure  out  the  best  possible position  to  put  the  right  punch  in.

I positioned  my  legs  shoulder  length  apart,  and threw  in  a  punch  with  my  right  hand  followed  by one  with  my  left  hand  followed  by  a  squat immediately  resuming  my  original  position  and  did the  same thing  again  and  again.

Why couldn't you love me?

Punch

Why did  you leave  me alone  in  the  world ?

Another  punch

Why was I never  enough for  you ?

This  time  I  threw  in  a  punch  criss  cross  with  both my hands.

Why did  you  let  Adam do  that  to  me?

I  punched  to  push  these  thoughts  out  of  my  head.  I punched  hard  so  the  only  thing  I  would  remember are  my  aching  muscles  and  never  those  awful memories
I  tried  to  suppress.

Life  has  a  funny  way  of  making  you  face  and encounter  things  you  don't  really  want  to.

Why did  Adam have to come back? Why did it remind  me of  them?  I  was  under  the false  illusion that  I  had  forgotten everything,  that  I  could  face them,  but  he  reminded  me  I  was  still  that  scared little  girl.

"Whom are you planning  to  kill?"  I  heard  a  voice behind  me.

Though  I  recognised  the  voice  I  didn't turn  back.  I  resumed  my  punches,  not  losing momentum. I  swung  a blow  and ducked to avoid getting  hit  right  on  the  face.

Hands  wrapped  around  me,  halting  my  punches. My best  friend  Dave  Salve  carefully  removed  my gloves  and  rubbed  my  wrists  between  his  hands. He had gone to visit  his  parents.

Though  life  had  a  personal  vendetta  against  me,  it did  do  a  good  thing.  It  gave  me  Dave  as  a  friend.  In my pathetic  life  he  was  a  constant  rock.  The  one person  who  would  stay  with  me let  anything happen.

Dave  engulfed  me  in  his  arms,  I  buried  my  face  in his  chest,  grateful  for  the  comfort.  He  was  the  best person  in  the  world.

"You  okay?"  He  asked,  looking  at  him  worriedly. I  nodded  in  approval, discreetly  trying  to  wipe  my tears,  he  did  notice  my  movement.