38: Getting Dressed

Muttering under his breath, Sangwoo shook out his boxer briefs, a dark blue in the dim cell. Supporting himself on the table, he pulled them on and straightened them out. Next went on the undershirt-- plain black. Then he rolled on the black socks. In front of him sat the letter you had written to him. He was nonchalantly reading it as he dressed himself.

...the only advantage of you being out is that I won't waste time going to the prison. Not that I visited you that much. Did I ever tell you of the time that my therapist brought me into her room to have a frank talk about how she thinks I've developed Stockholm syndrome? She found it "extremely worrying" and going forward wanted to do an extra weekly check-in. We aren't dating, but of course, she thinks something is going on. She has a sense about every paitent under her care and the direction their brain is leaning. That's what she says, at least!

But Sangwoo, I'd rather that you have the best chance upon release. She doesn't understand that I want to make sure you've changed. If everything is hard for you, then of course you would turn back to old, bad habits. Anyone would.

He opened the second and largest package to reveal the joggers on the top to the other man. You had packed the items and had placed the garments in the order for him to dress. After fastening the drawstring on his pants, he pulled out the hoodie. He carefully removed stickers and a cardboard tag from the article. Officer Pak could smell the store perfume across the room. After pulling the hoodie on over his head, he smoothed the warm clothing article, taking particular care to see how well it fit. It fit perfectly on his thinner frame. Before, he had been an extra-large. Now it seemed that a large was baggy enough on him.

When I think about it late at night or when I've had a little too much to drink, I wish we hadn't had our altercation, because now I'm tormented every day by the memories I had and the new memories we've made. The scent of you, your pale skin, your voice at my ears as we talk.

I can only guess what you're thinking now that it's time for you to leave! You are probably wondering if this is the end for us. Honestly, I don't know. Promise me that you will have more restraint in the future. I must have all your thoughts be one hundred percent pure to persuade me visit.

Opening the smaller package, he shook out two plain shoes. Dexterously, for such large hands, Sangwoo swiftly tied the laces. From the diminishing stack of clothing, he noted that the next few lines were a bit out of the ordinary.

...The gardens must be blooming at the Downtown Conservatory now. I have nothing but a few weeds at my work that are stomped on my animals all day. But that leads me to a question I have.

His glasses and other personal belongings were wrapped in a separate piece of paper from his clothing. He had finally made it to the end of this task.