33: The Other Guy

"I'd like to try a different topic today." Dr. Park stated as you reclined on the sofa.

"Yeah?..." You wondered what was left to talk about. You had discussed your father, your ex, your kidnapper and your self. Who did you miss?

"The other victim. Yoon Bum, was it?"

"Yeah..." a slight scowl crossed your face.

"Do you know what he's doing?"

"No..."

"What do you think he's doing?"

"I don't know... maybe living a shitty life like me. Maybe a better one. Who am I to guess? I didn't know him hardly."

"Do you think he's a victim just like you?"

"Maybe not just like me. I'm sure he was fucked up and he had shitty times but it's not like we were next to each other the whole time."

"So he wasn't down in the basement with you?"

"You know he wasn't." You scowled at her. It was annoying when she asked questions that you knew she knew the answers to.

"Why do you think he wasn't?" Dr. Park scribbled some random notes down. "Was it because he was Sangwoo's boyfriend?"

"Sangwoo's not gay." You sighed at your own immediate response.

"Did he say that to you?"

"Yes. Over and over.  I never even said he was either. I never asked about the other guy."

"How did you feel about 'the other guy'?"

"I was pretty pissed that he didn't go get help, but I kind of understood that even though he was upstairs without broken ankles that he was stuck too. Didn't mean that I didn't want to scream at him sometimes though."

"Why at him? Why not at your common captor?"

"What good would screaming at Sangwoo do then? He probably would have broken some other bone. I thought maybe if I got through to that guy, he might make a run for it and get help. But it was never worth it."

"Why do you say that? Wouldn't any attempt at escape have been worth it?"

"How can I put this... I didn't have a lot of... faith? I guess, in this guy. He was really scrawny and looked pretty messed up. Even if he did make it outside, Sangwoo would have been able to catch him."

"But isn't any attempt at escape better than none?"

"What are you implying?" You narrowed your eyes. "That I didn't even try to get out?"

"I'm sure you tried. I'm just wondering why this option wasn't one you were willing to try."

"Risk and reward. Seriously, is it that hard to understand? I didn't know the guy, he didn't seem like he'd be successful and I wasn't willing to get the shit beat out of me if and when he failed! I'd have better luck on my own." You were sitting up straight now, heated by the discussion.

"Better luck or you'd feel better about yourself?" Dr. Park leaned forward. "Those are two different feelings. If you got yourself out versus asking for help. Rate yourself from 1-10 on how good you are at asking for help or support."

"A fucking four, okay? Not great. I will if I have to, but I'd rather not be let down. Isn't that everyone?"

"If that's everyone, then why aren't you a ten?"

You sat back and glowered. She did have a point.