[ glasses pt. 1 ]

Start from the beginning

The moment he faced his back to me, I came out of the weird trance I'd been under. 

Woah.

Who knew Travis could look so good?

At dinner, I asked Miranda if she'd seen Travis yet. She hadn't. I sighed, wishing she had so I could ask her if she thought he looked any different. She asked if it was a good or bad difference, and I didn't know what to say. It was so stupid that he made me speechless with a stupid pair of glasses - stupid all around. I was supposed to be able to make quips without ever being phased and... oh, no.

How could I handle his flirting now? He'd always done it to annoy me, but if seeing him in glasses just once was any indication of how things would be... I was doomed. There'd be no way I could take his pick-up lines and survive with my reputation. 

"Katie-kat!"

I cringed. Time to put myself to the test.

Miranda gave me a weird look as I took a deep breath and took an aggressive grip on the picnic table. I couldn't let myself go like this. 

"Katie-kins, I need your opinion," the notorious boy began, flying into view all too soon. 

I tightened my fingers on the table, and Miranda raised her eyebrows.

"Travis, you're looking... different," she observed, rolling her eyes when he beamed.

"Thanks, it's the glasses." He snickered at himself, which I normally would've found obnoxious, but in this case it was adorable. 

Unfortunately, he turned his attention back to me.

"Kates, I need you to tell me if my glasses make me look dorky," he continued, though I avoided eye contact. "Connor says I look like a 'level 100 nerd', but I think I look like one of those sexy-intelligent types."

Miranda scoffed, and I was tempted to do the same. However, upon glancing up at him (big mistake), my heart skipped a beat. He'd propped his hands on our table, making his forearm muscles pop. 

Why did I notice that?

"Like I said, you... um, look dumb." I bit my lip.

He smirked, making me swoon silently. "If I didn't know any better, I'd think you liked my glasses."

I shook my head violently. "Ew, no! You look so stupid with them and I'm so mad that you can see again and now you're gonna be pranking my cabin again and you just look so bad and-"

"-and you're rambling," he finished for me.

Growling, I looked away from him. "Whatever. Go away."

He chuckled and stood up straight. "As you wish, Katie-kat."

After he'd stalked away, Miranda giggled at me. "Seems like someone has a little crush."

"What? No!" I hated how defensive I sounded. 

Miranda ate a bite of her food. "Oh, please. That's the least smooth conversation you've ever had with Travis, and he does look good with his glasses."

I groaned and leaned my elbows on the table. "That's disgusting. I've lost my appetite."

The next night, I sat on my bed while the rest of my siblings got ready for a campfire being thrown by the lake. It hadn't been any easier throughout the day to form a complete sentence when around the stupid Stoll. I tripped over myself when he passed by, I babbled incoherently when he talked to me,  and I lost all train of thought when we made eye contact. 

It was horrific.

As I touched up my makeup and rebraided my hair, for no apparent reason, I considered not going to the campfire at all. I didn't want to be near Travis. Miranda, however, assumed otherwise.

"Trying to impress someone?" 

I scrunched up my nose. "Uh, no. Who would I be trying to impress?"

"Oh, nobody. Maybe the guy who took your breath away since he got back from his eye exam?"

I rolled my eyes and pushed past her to go outside. I couldn't tolerate my own sister making fun of me for a crush that didn't even exist! It was so dumb. I couldn't stand Travis. 

As I made my way to the campfire, I listed all the reasons I hated him in my head. He was so annoying, and he never took anything seriously. He relentlessly pranked my cabin, and me specifically, so much that I couldn't go a day without a disturbance. He went out of his way to jokingly flirt with me just to get on my nerves. He actually did a lot of things just to get on my nerves. He-

Oh gods, there he is.

His framed eyes found mine, and he lit up. "Katie-kat!"

Oh, no.