"Of course, Ms. Avery. It is your birthday after all, they refused to let any of us enter the kitchen," the younger maid replied cheerfully as I gave her a small smile in return. I was about to speak but the sound of several pots and pans hitting the floor fell into our ears.

Letting out a sigh, I thanked the three before dismissing them. Without wasting too much time, I threw the towel wrapped around my hair onto the floor and quickly slipped my dress and shoes on. Normally I would blow dry my long hair and tie it back in a ponytail but this time I just braided it into a wet fishtail and kept it hidden behind my back.

With quick footsteps, I made my way into the kitchen and saw my grandmama smiling sheepishly as grandpapa stood beside her and tried to hide a plate of burnt toast. They began to laugh nervously once I shot them a playful glare. I couldn't care less about the burnt food, I just don't want any of them getting hurt. I already owe my life to them, what would I do if something happened to them?

"Katerina! Happy birthday, my sweet princess. We've been waiting for you, come sit down. I made your favorite, chocolate chip pancakes with sunny side up eggs," grandmama hurriedly pushed me towards the breakfast table outside by our swimming pool as grandpapa tried to slyly get rid of the burnt evidence. Upon seeing the breakfast table filled with my favorite food, I raised my brow at grandmama who looked away guiltily.

"Haha, your grandpapa had a hunch that our cooking might not go as planned so he had our chefs prepare this in advance!" grandmama explained as she pushed me down onto the chair on the right side while she sat on the left side and grandpapa sat at the head of the table.

"Thank you, grandpapa and grandmama. You didn't have to do all of this for me though, you should be resting during your retirement. I'm sorry. It's been so hard for you both, I promise to repay you both soon," I gave them a bright smile as I reached across the table and took a hold of their hands. Their smooth hands were now wrinkled with old age from having to raise me for so many years.

"Nonsense! We should be saying sorry to you. While your twin sister lives like a princess in the city with the Dale family, you are kept hidden away in the countryside with us old folks. You always have to be careful about your identity, even when you go shopping in the city. Truly, your mother would not have wanted this life for you, we are sorry we couldn't give you a better life than this," grandmama spoke as she caressed the side of my face. Tears began to pour down her green eyes and I couldn't help but shoot a panicked look at grandpapa, only to find him tearing up as well.

"Please, don't say that. I love my life. I love my life so much because it was given to me by the both of you. I took your precious daughter away from you, and yet you chose to keep me and raise me. I'm so thankful to you both every single day. You gave me a home filled with warmth and happiness," I spoke earnestly and stood up to hug both of the elders.

The staff of maids and cooks present were smiling warmly towards the small family. They had never served such kindhearted upper-class folks before. Usually, rich people were arrogant but not the Avery family. They were akin to Saints and Ms. Katerina Avery is considered an Angel among their eyes.

We stayed in a warm embrace for a few moments longer before my stomach grumbled, making everyone laugh as my face flushed red. I coughed lightly and quietly returned to my seat and continued to eat peacefully with my grandparents.

This is my life and I love it. The peace and quiet of the countryside. The freedom to do whatever I want. My own little home that I can always come running back to. I love it with all of my heart.