CHAPTER 9

"What in the world is going on here?"

             Daphne jumps away from the e-door in fear as the voice talked. Sophie's eyes widen in shock and realization.

"Dad!" she exclaims.
              He gave her a glance and turned his attention to Daphne who was against the wall.

"What is she doing here?"

"Uh, it's a long story da-"

"I'm not interested in any long story of a sort. I want a short explanation."

Silence.

"Well?" he asked.

"Actually it was m-" Daphne began.
          Mr. Rey held up his finger telling her to shut up.
"Not you."
            Daphne snapped her mouth shut and gave Sophie an apologetic look.

"No answer? Fine, who brought her here?" he asked.
            What a dumb question. I couldn't have obviously, Gideon would never then, that left Sophie.

"Its obviously not Mason, neither is it Gideon and she can't just waltz in here." he said.

"Then you have your answer." Sophie said, chin raised in defiance. She was ready for what soever punishment he would throw her way.
               Mr. Rey's eyes met Sophie's and he stood over her. He was taller than her by a few inches and her head barely scraped his nose.

"I want you to say it." he said.

"Why?"

"Say it." he said firmly, giving her his famous intimidating look. This time, she actually blinked and looked away and took a step back.

She took a deep breath and began,
"I did."

"You did what? I can't hear you."

"I brought Daphne here."

            Daphne snapped her attention to Sophie and back to him as she began to speak.

"Sir, it was my fa-"

"No, I begged her to accompany me to see Mason." Sophie said, interrupting Daphne.
              Mr. Rey rose an eyebrow.
"Did you now?" he asked.

"I did."

"Sophie, I'm giving you five seconds to tell me the truth right now if not, I will double your punishment. One,"

Silence.

"Two,"

Silence.

"Three."

Silence.

"Four,"

Silence.

"Five."

                 He gave a slight nod and turned his attention to me. He gave a slight smile and exhaled. He pressed a button on his smart watch and Gideon t-ported into the med lab.

"If you'll excuse us ladies, I have work to do." he said to Sophie and Daphne.

                They both turned to the door and left silently.

"Gideon, how are the results so far?"

"There's nothing wrong with him Mr. Reynolds."

                  Mr. Rey stopped in his tracks and stared at her.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive Mr. Reynolds."

                        His green eyes settled on me. They were filled with wonder and amazement.

"All memories intact?" he asked.

"Yes Mr. Reynolds."

"No displacement?"

"Yes Mr. Reynolds. Is something wrong?" She asked.

"No." he said but obviously, he was lying. What was he hiding? Did he know about my memory problem? By this time, I was seething. He lied to my mom and surely, he had something to so with this.

"There is something wrong, isn't there?" I asked.
              He stared at me baffled.

"You tampered with my memories, didn't you?" I asked, getting angrier. 

                     He stared at me in utter confusion.
"Um Gideon, are you sure he's fine?" he asked.

"Positive Mr. Reynolds."

                      I glared at him.
"There's no need to lie to me." I said.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."
                  He seemed totally confused about what I was I talking about and my suspicion wavered but didn't leave.

"How do I know you're not lying. After all, you lied to mom about my accident." I said.
                     He raked his hands through his hair in frustration and stared at me.

"Mason, I would understand you if you actually made sense but you don't. And about the lie, I did it because I can't let her know about what we want to do and you know that. She'll be against it."

"So, blame the poor curious boy sent on a mission." I said angrily.

"Look, if you don't seem happy with what I did then, I advice you to shove your complaints in back into your mouth because I don't want to hear it."
                    He took a deep breath and exhaled trying to calm himself down. He stared down at me and continued.

"If I didn't offer to help you, you would be in the HRSO quarters right now because, if your mom took you to the hospital, the question would be 'why was he playing around with time fluid?' So, be grateful that I saved your life."

              Now, I felt horrible. He was right; I was acting like a total jerk to the guy who just saved me. I could understand why he told her that, it was the most believable story after all. Apparently, he had no idea about my memory problem but, I still suspected him though.

I moistened my lips and I stared up at him.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said those things. You were just trying to help and I acted like an ass." I said.

                      He studied me as I awaited his answer. I felt uneasy under his gaze, it was like he was waiting for me to screw up or something.

"Apology accepted." he said.

                     We both smiled at each other. Problem forgotten.

"I think I'll call your mom to get you new clothes and take you home. That'll be okay right?" he asked. I nodded and he turned away to leave.

"Mr. Rey?" I called out.

"Yes?" he said as he paused.

"Please go easy on Sophie " I said.
                      He gave a thumbs up and left.
                  I glanced at Gideon who was organizing things at a corner.

"Um Gideon," I called out.

"Yes Mr. Hill?"

"I wanted to ask if you could give me records concerning my memory problem." I asked. What? It was worth a try.

"Mr. Hill all records are confidential."

                      My mouth dropped open.
"My own records?" I asked.

"Yes Mr. Hill. Anything else?" she asked smiling.

"No thank you." I said.

                      She turned to leave then paused at the doorway. Weird. She just stood there doing nothing.

"Uh Giddy are you okay?" I asked.

                She turned suddenly and rushed towards me, enveloping me in a tight hug, which hurt like hell by the way.

"I'm so glad you're okay." she said as she stroked my hair.

Well that's new.