CHAPTER 18

Date: 13th Oct, 2021
Time: 3:51pm

Zoe's POV

I resisted the urge to yawn as I checked the time on my watch. I bit my lip trying to contain my relief. Nine more minutes. Nine freaking minutes till the end of this boring meeting. Everyday after school, the press club held a meeting, for one whole hour and unfortunately, I was part of the press club which means, I spend one full hour everyday thinking about what a mistake I made getting into this club.

My gaze moved to Jean Roberts, one of our senior journalists and my best friend. Her gaze was solely on Wayne, our journalist for the sports section, but I knew better than to think that. Her dark ponytail was being twirled by her fingers, which meant she was lost in thought, probably thinking about something interesting.

I reached out and gave her a pinch which caused her to flinch. The book on her lap fell to the floor, her brown eyes blinked furiously. I rolled my eyes; Jean the drama queen. She adjusted her purple framed glasses. Everyone stared at her.

"Uh, Jean is there anything you'd like to add?" Wayne asked.

"What? N-no, I mean, no. I'm good." she said, laughing nervously.

"Then, I guess you can do a recap for us." he said, giving her a small smile. I rolled my eyes, I had a suspicion that he might have a crush on her.

She gave me a glare, which I returned with a smile, then smiled at everyone.

"Well everyone, what Wayne has basically been saying for the past fifty-three minutes is that we should uh, we should -"

"How about we skip the recap and call it a day. Thank you everyone and be sure to turn in your assignments." Lola, our editor-in-chief said. She glanced at Jean with one eyebrow raised. Her signature I saved your ass look.

There was a collective sigh of relief released at that statement and I struggled to hold in my laughter. I gathered my books and stuffed them in my bag. I got up from my chair and hurried towards the door to avoid the usual small talk that everyone engaged it because honestly, after being held back in school for one hour, who would have the patience for small talk? I guess the universe was against me because Lola reached out and grabbed my right arm.

"Hey! Wait up, where are you hurrying off to? I need to talk to you and Jean now." she said.

"Are you sure?" I asked, mentally slapping myself. Geez Zoe, just shut up.

Her brown eyes narrowed.

"Am I sure? Did I sound uncertain?" she asked, releasing my arm.

"Uh, no ma'am. I'm sorry, it's just that it's been a rough day, I'm just tired." I lied. Well, it has been a rough day, having to keep up conversations, deal with teachers and to have this absolutely boring meeting. That's enough to drive one mad, right?

"Understood, let's get on with it. I'm waiting."

I turned away and marched towards Jean, who was in a conversation with Wayne. She gave me a pained look which surprisingly, he didn't see.

"Hey guys! Sorry Wayne but, Lola needs Jean for a moment." I said. He gave a small nod and waved at Jean.

"Thank you." Jean whispered and I snorted.

Jean and I fell in step with each other as we arrived at Lola's desk. Her desk was extremely messy with paper, pencils, pens, books and coffee cups. Her assistant, probably a junior, struggled to tidy it up as she typed away on her laptop.