"He deserves much more than a slap," I sit closer to her and hold her in my arms.

Imogen is a great girl with a really good sense of humor and a strong character. She was already with Duncan when we started working together and I always thought he was trouble. He would appear at the club randomly and get pissed at Imogen if she was chatting with a male clubber. Adam had to interfere several times to tell him it's part of her job to socialize with our customers and that he needed to stay out of it. And this is what scares me about Erin getting together with the wrong guy. I don't want her to be involved with a guy like Duncan.

Imogen's phone rings and I leave her alone for a moment to give her privacy. From my bedroom, I can hear her mumbled conversation while I call Adam.

"Rory? What's up? I just walked inside."

"We have a situation. Imogen wasn't sick. Duncan punched her and she's here at my apartment."

"Is she okay?"

"She has a bruise on her face. For the rest, she's angry and upset. They argued because she's pregnant and he accused her of sleeping around."

"He's always been a problematic dick! Where is that asshole?"

"Hopefully getting arrested as she pressed charges. I convinced her to stay here tonight, but I will feel more at ease if she stays longer. If he gets bailed, she won't be safe at her place. I don't think he knows where I live."

"Let me know what can I do to help."

"Can you call Erin and let her know? Imogen can use a female friend. She's never talked to me about having any and since she was heading to a shelter, I can assume she had nowhere else to go."

"I will give Erin a call now. She never goes to bed right away. Send me a message or call me when you know more or need any other help."

Adam, besides being my brother is the person I trust the most. To many people he comes across as a workaholic with nasty moods, but the reality is that Adam is caring, kind and understanding.

No more noises come from the living room, so I feel comfortable joining Imogen once more. I find her staring at the phone in her hand while she covers her mouth with the other.

"What's going on? Are you okay?" Her expression makes me feel even more worried.

"He left... I think he figured out I went to the police. I fear he will be looking for me."

"Imogen, I will do whatever it takes to keep you and your baby safe, okay? Duncan doesn't know where I live or that you are here with me and I will feel more at ease if you stay here with me for a while. I'll make sure that Adam changes your shift so that we are together as much as possible."

"Rory, I will be intruding your privacy. I can't do that," she shakes her head. "The last thing you want is to have a pregnant woman living with you."

"I insist. You are one of my closest friends and if something happens to you, I will never forgive myself."

"I'll give it some thought," she sighs. "The call I got was to let the police know of where else they could look for Duncan. He will be an idiot if he appears at the club."

"Just so you know, I called Adam to let him know what happened and he offered to help in any way he can. You can wear some of my clothes tonight and tomorrow we can figure how to get some of your stuff here. I'm sure Adam can give us a ride, and Duncan will be stupid to try anything with us there."

"Adam must be thinking the worst of me."

"No, he only wants to help, we all do. Let me clear up the bed in the second room for myself and you can sleep in mine."

"No Rory, I can sleep here on the couch."

"I don't think your baby will appreciate sleeping on this uncomfortable couch."

Her warm smile is all I need right now to know she'll be okay.

"Let me help give you a hand," she stands up and for the first time I notice that her body has changed. "Yeah, I got these now," she pats her breasts and I feel heat on my cheeks.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to stare."

"We are kind of roommates now. No need to behave oddly around me," she gives me a friendly bump with her hip.

"I don't want you to think I'm a creep or anything."

"Ro, we have worked together for over two years and you've never made a pass at me."

"I'm not that kind of guy."

Because she was taken, but I liked her since the first time Adam introduced us. And in between the scent of liquor, I pause at times to enjoy her perfume when she's standing next to me. I love it when she smiles and how well we work together. I like everything about Imogen, but she was with someone else and my parents raised me well enough to be respectful towards women.