49 - Awkward Situations & Anticipating Accusations.

I texted my mother that I was safe when I reached the promenade. She had declined to my invitation to join me and I knew she would because she understood it was something special that I shared with my father. I was actually fine with being alone,well I wasn't alone because I was with Sarah,her grandmother and Trent.
My plan was to quietly slip away to the spot my father and I always went to without them knowing.
The evening was quite harsh because of the icey breeze that greeted the atmosphere. I was confused because it was Spring but then again I wasn't a meteorologist.

I headed toward the place Sarah said she would meet me but as I neared it I saw that they were already there. Sarah was dressed in jeans and she wore a buffy jacket,her grandmother was standing next to her and I searched but I saw no sign of Trent.

"Hey am I late?",I asked as I hugged Sarah.

"No, no we just got here a bit early",Sarah smiled at me.

"Hi grams",I greeted her grandmother who looked excited.

"Mia,lovely to see you",she said politely.

"We're going to have so much fun!",Sarah exclaimed.

"Did someone say fun?",Trent's voice made me nervous.

"Where did you disappear to?",Sarah smiled at him, I could tell he made her nervous too. It was just the effect Trent had on people.

"I just went to get us some cotton candy babe."

Babe.

"Well Mia is already here",she said directing her gaze at me.

"Hi",I said trying not to sound awkward.

"Cotton candy?",he offered. I looked at the cotton candy and then up at him.
He was smiling, he was smiling at me.

"No thanks, I don't want to get on a sugar high",I chuckled a little in hope that he wouldn't notice how awkward I felt.

"It's cotton candy ,Mia",Sarah intervened as she took the cotton candy from Trent's hand.

The looked up and realised how quickly the curtain of night fell upon the sky.

"It's getting dark already, you guys stay here,we'll be five minutes I promise",Sarah said as she unzipped her handbag after giving Trent her cotton candy to hold.

"Where are you going babe?",Trent asked.

"Grams wants the pink starburst, I have to get it for her because they don't allow her much sugar back at the retirement home",Sarah explained as she took out her purse.

"I could go get it for you",I offered in a tone that sounded like I wanted an excuse to leave and then I immediately regretted it.

"It's okay Mia, I want to spend as much time as I can with grams",Sarah smiled as she zipped her bag and took her grandmother's hand.

"We can all go",Trent said and I realised he was feeling just as awkward as I was.

"You guys have to keep our place,just stay put we'll be back, and Mia, eat cotton candy",Sarah said as she and grams retreated.

I stood there trying to think of ways to stop her but then I sighed in defeat.

"I was trying to save you from this",Trent shrugged with a smile.

"Huh?What?"

"You feel awkward around me,don't you?",Trent laughed as he leaned over the fence where we stood.

"And you don't?",I couldn't help but laugh as I leaned over the fence to get a closer look at his facial expression.

"I do,but like you said we're over so I can't be awkward forever",Trent said in monotone.

"We're over but it's a little weird seeing you with someone else",I admitted.

"Then why do it?Why put yourself in this awkward position?"

"I really like Sarah,she's a good person. Don't mess it up",I smiled at him.

"You're a good person ,Mia",Trent replied as he stepped back and looked at me,his grip tight on the cotton candy in his hand.

"I don't hold grudges,but like I said don't you dare hurt her",I smirked at him as I pulled the cotton candy out of his hand.

"Threats huh? What are you going to do if I do?",Trent asked as he wrestled me for the cotton candy.

I bit a huge chunk of it and felt it melt on my tongue,the sweetness made my mouth tingle.Trent laughed as he pulled it out of my grasp and took an even bigger chunk out with his canine teeth.

"You animal!",I exclaimed in laughter. In that moment I realised that I was over Trent. There we were,laughing and eating cotton candy but not once did I think about kissing him or intertwining our hands, or even his dreamy smile. I didn't have a deep desire to be his again or for him to be mine.He was my past and in that moment I accepted it, I stopped running away from it. I stood there and faced it and I found that I was strong enough to. Sarah and Trent had a chance to build something special and I had hoped they would because why not. Everybody deserves love.

"Mia!",the loud raspy exclaim caught my attention and I turned to see Penelope.

"Hey you",I smiled at her as Trent also turned and to acknowledge the fact that she was standing there seeking attention.

"I need a minute",she said sternly as she gave Trent a dirty look.

"Hello,Venelope",Trent said her name incorrectly on purpose.

"Biggest douche bag in Oregon",she rolled her eyes at him.

"Keep our spot, I'll be back",I smiled at Trent as I left him standing there with the cotton candy in his hand.

I followed Penelope's frustrated strut as she headed toward the parking lot area.

"I know how it looks but I swear I can explain why I was with Trent",I stated as she stopped.

"You kissed Marcellous!"