• Yield your Sword •

Start from the beginning

I opened the small window of the litter, gazing at the darkness outside. Court Lady Suk was walking beside my palanquin.

"We are reaching the bridge of the quiet river, Your Majesty." She informed me. That's when I look on my right, there I saw the bridge where I used to meet Lady Choi of the Choi Household.

"Stop the palanquin. We will walk from here." I said.

The litter stopped and was put down. My Court Lady coming faster on the front to help me get out.
Once out, a jang-ot was gently thrown at my body, to shield me from the cold breeze and to help hide my face. It was Jun Seok, my trusted guard, who gave me the outer coat.

He bowed and stepped back, standing beside his sister, Ji Seok.
Both of the two has been serving me since the first time I was appointed as Crown Princess. Both are trained in combat and swords to ensure me my safety.

And those are one of the reasons why I took them with me.

"Let's go." I said and started walking.

The Choi's home wasn't far from the bridge, it was just couple of minutes walk and the spacious Hanok came into our sight. The biggest out of all the other houses in the area.

I halted in my steps when I noticed the darkness looming around the house. And my heart pounded loudly inside my chest.

The Choi's never let their lantern died out even at night..and it is never this quiet.

Something is wrong.

"Jun Seok, Ji Seok!" I called for my guards.

"Your Majesty?" The two asked, head bowed in respect.

I slightly turn to them, "Jun Seok, do what we always do. And Ji Seok...stay alert." I told them. "Court Lady Suk," I then turned to my sanggung, who was attentive enough on whatever I am going to say. "Did you bring my sword?" I asked.

The woman nod, and from the inside of her robe she took out my favorite weapon. I laid out my hand, and she handed it to me.

My palm touched the ornate handle that spread out like a leaf, with a ruby embedded in the center. I took it out from the scabbard and ran my fingers across the symbol decorating it's blade. A dragon.

The dragon is the symbol of an empress.

It's been too long since the last time I've touched this. Too long since the last time I've used it.

"Hold the sword firmly, Hyun Ae! One wrong hold can cause you your life!" Her father hissed that one afternoon.
The man has just gone home from the palace, his duty has been done. And in the third day of every week, he was there to teach his daughter how to hold and use a sword.

'It was for your own good.' The man would say, and though his voice was firm, his eyes was tender and sweet.

And Hyun Ae understand. Her older brother had also been gone through hard trainings with their father, and soon, her younger brother will too.
So Hyun Ae do understand.

But perhaps she'll have more enthusiasm with using sword if it was his father's that she uses. That sharp blade  ornate with a dragon and ruby. She liked its design and the sharpness of it. One wrong hold of it and it will surely slash on your flesh.

Hyun Ae stepped back when the man whipped the magnificent sword on her right, almost slashing her arm.
The then twelve year old felt fear like never before.

Her father is lovable, protective and understanding, but when they are on the training field, he's an enemy.

"Your attention shouldn't be anywhere, Hyun Ae." The man said, one foot stepping backward as he positioned for another attack.

Hyun Ae let out a shaky breath, and readying herself on what was coming.

Her father charged, both of them moving back and forth, sword hitting both blades creating an annoying clanking of metals.

Hyun Ae started to think, to act instead of react.

But she's not as good as her father.

The man throw one whip which made a cut on Hyun Ae's arm. She hissed upon feeling the stinging pain.

Hyun Ae dodged to the side, throwing a crooked cut on her father's left hand. The man laughed, he dont look hurt or anything, if so, the man looked amused. All of the things he taught to his child is all showing.

They dueled and dueled, until Hyun Ae's father managed to gently pressed the tip of his sword against Hyun Ae's neck. Not hurting her, but threateningly close to her lifeline.

Her father's smile did not fade as he eyed her. "Fine, I yield, father." And Hyun Ae surrendered.

jang-ot - is an outerwear worn by women of the Joseon Dynasty period as a veil to cover their faces.
•hanok - a korean traditional house

A/N: the flashbacks are not continuous like the 'present time', those italics words are only glimpse of the past. They may have different timelines.