Chapter 32: Her Number

Start from the beginning

With his answer, my lips could not help but turn upwards. However, it was only for a short moment.

"But! She did allow me to become 'friends' on Facebook, though. Look! She's the one I'm messaging right now. I sent her a photo of our appetiser because she mentioned she loved vegetable dishes the most." Kyle suddenly said in a proud tone.

My jaw clenched as he showed me his phone, scrolling through his conversation with Millen.

Looking at it, it seems like they are comfortable with talking to each other. The way they sent their messages looked like they were quite close. Also, they sent each other 'memes' that I did not get at all. They had references that only those in the medical field could understand.

I wanted to probe in more as he scrolled through their conversation but there was suddenly a notification that appeared on it.

'1 new message. Scroll down to see new message from Millen Yu.'

"Woah, wait, she replied!" Kyle quickly said as he scrolled down.

Millen Yu: That's so delicious! I'm also having my lunch right now. Have a good meal!

But just when I thought that was the only reply, another picture from Millen came through!

She was wearing a formal black blazer over a fitted formal dress, smiling while holding a bowl of porridge.

My mouth widened a little bit upon seeing her picture. She looks as beautiful as ever...

I was captivated by her looks but upon thinking about the current situation, I unconsciously frowned at the picture.

I have never received one from her...

I know it's probably just her courtesy reply to this Kyle Diaz kid since he was shameless enough to send a selfie of himself first, but does she really have to go that far?

I bit my lips in frustration.

"I have to reply quickly! There... done!" Kyle said excitedly.

He then turned at me and raised his brows a bit.

"Mayor, you seem surprised. Millen Yu and you probably don't message each other on Facebook, huh?" Kyle asked curiously.

Even though I am very much annoyed and bothered right now, instead of showing that on my face, I widened my smile at him.

After all, one of the basic things a politician must know was to conceal one's feelings. One has to maintain a calm, dignified expression at all times.

"Indeed, Mr. Diaz is right. Actually, I am not even friends with that girl on Facebook." I said in a formal tone.

Kyle Diaz didn't seem to think much of it and just nodded, as if he's seriously agreeing.

"Figures. Even if Mayor Lennox was familiar with Millen, it is only limited to a leader and subordinate relationship, is it not? There's really no use for relations in Facebook." he said in a know-it-all tone.

This...

Is this guy testing me on purpose?

"No... I think Mr. Diaz have got it wrong. I am more than familiar with her. Whenever she volunteers at the city hall, we make arrangements just to have lunch together." I said directly.

Kyle Diaz suddenly widened his eyes at what I said.

"Also, since I actually have her number, I could just directly contact her, right? Most of all, I could hear her voice directly. And so, for me, that is way better than being simply connected through social media." I said in a soft tone, smiling even wider.

Kyle Diaz definitely did not know how to conceal his real feelings yet. He clearly had a surprised expression, with his mouth widely opened.

"You- you... Mayor, don't tell me... Could you possibly be into Millen Yu as well?" he said in an astonished tone.

"Finally, Mr. Diaz is right." I remarked with no guilt at all.

At this point, I was still smiling at him while he was just speechless. He then turned to his food and just ate quietly.

With that, I let out a sigh.

This really won't do...

The moment Millen comes back at the city hall, I will have a proper discussion with her.

I have to be honest with my feelings for her... I can't continue to being childish and unreasonable like this.

I can't continue running away... especially now, I'm already at my limit.

Just like what a great politician said, "My biggest regret will be knowing that I can do something, but I did not do it instead."

I don't wanna miss my chance. I know that if I don't act sooner, I may lose her to others and even just thinking about it makes my heart hurt.

My only worry is about her complex background but compared to losing her, I can probably bear with it. I'm prepared to get tangled in a tricky mess.

Because... after all, I really can't continue being unfair to her anymore...