Chapter 1: Want to Try It Again?

Beacon Hills, California lies in the northern rural valley of the state of Beacon County, approximately sixty miles south of Redwood and eighty miles east of the San Francisco peninsula. Established around the early 1800's, the quaint little town had an economic boom from its coal mining industry and lumber mills increasing its population over the years with steady profits. In addition, the historical value of the location and its natural wonder has helped the tourism trade with guests coming in droves to camp, visit historic landmarks, and enjoy the quite town atmosphere.

Sixteen year old Stiles Argent grabbed the algebra textbook from his locker, slipping it into his backpack while raking a hand through his buzz cut brown hair. He listened to the ruckus of teenagers coming down the hall. His sister Allison, older by one year, giggled, parading past the leering gazes of hormonally charged males in her path.

Dark, curly hair cascaded down her back covering the Beacon Hills insignia of the cheerleading uniform that she wore as she crossed over to her younger sibling.

"Dad is going to be late from work," she informed him. "Mom wants to know if you can pick some milk and eggs from the grocery store."

Stiles sighed slamming his locker shut. "Why me? Can't you do it?"

Allison rolled her eyes. "I've got cheerleading practice afterschool, dummy. Besides, you don't have anything going on." She blinked her eyes several times. "Please?"

He inhaled a breath. "Fine. I'll pick up a few things on my way home. Since Mom and Dad gave me the car, do you want me to pick you up after practice?"

"No," she shook her head. "Lydia is offering me a ride so that's not necessary."

Like clockwork, seventeen year Lydia Martin and her entourage marched their way down the corridor. Like Moses parting the Red Sea, her classmates divided as this queen bee commanded the attention of everyone around her. By the junior's side, lacrosse captain Jackson Whittemore shot an arrogant grin at his peers as he held Lydia's hand tight. Beacon Hills High sophomore goalie Danny Mahealani completed the trio walking parallel to Jackson while they approached Allison in the hallway.

"Hey!" Lydia smiled at her BFF. "Excited about this weekend's party?"

"What party?" Stiles blurted out.

Jackson shoved him toward the locker. "The one you're not invited to Stilinski!"

Stiles hated it when Jackson called him that. For one thing, it was a stupid pet name for an insult. Second, it did not make any sense. The name Stilinski began in middle school because Stiles had difficulty sitting still in class. His teachers believed it was due to his ADHD but, unbeknownst to his instructors, there were other factors involved. With this constant restlessness in class, students began taunting him with the name Stilinksi which still stuck even as he entered high school.

"Lay off my little brother, Jackson!" Allison shouted.

The dumb jock took the hint and backed away. Slipping the strap of his backpack over his shoulder, Stiles pressed his lips in annoyance and started down the hall.

"I'm going to be late for class," he muttered. Shuffling his Converses, he meandered toward the other side of the school. Squeaky footsteps caught his attention as he turned around to see Danny Mahealani following him. "What do YOU want?"

The Hawaiian teen grabbed the sixteen year's old wrist dragging him to a secluded corner near the stairs. Dark, brown eyes gazed at him tossing his duffel bag aside to the young athlete to look at Stiles's eyes without flinching. In return, the sarcastic young man gave Danny his undivided attention. A painful lump formed in his throat attempting to find the words to express his emotions but realized with agonizing muteness that silence was the best answer.