Chapter 12

Amidst the hysterical stress of waiting for his MIA son, Seokjin had collapsed into a deep sleep on the living room couch. His cheeks were tearstained, and his clothes faintly smelled of sweat from when he'd been running through the neighborhood looking for Jungkook.

When Jungkook silently shut the backdoor to his house, he felt for the lightswitch to see if the lights were on. They were; his father was home. Dammit, he thought.

Using the wall as a guide, Jungkook snuck into different rooms of the house, on a quest to find Jin. As he approached the living room, Kookie could hear the calm, deep breaths of someone sleeping.

He followed the noise into the middle of the room, hoping he wouldn't run into something and bring Jin out of slumber. Jungkookie concluded that his father was heavily hibernating on the leather couch. I would've gone with the fabric one. He must be uncomfortable, Jungkook said to himself with a smirk.

He shrugged. Well what do I do now? What if he wakes up before I can get Taehyung upstairs to my room? What would I say if he asks me why I'm carrying a talking fish? Aigo. Maybe I should send him off somewhere just in case.

"Hey Dad?" spoke Jungkook, tapping Jin's shoulder. Seokjin jerked awake and gawked at the audacity Jungkook had to leave him worried for so long. Jungkook couldn't see his father's face to know how much trouble he was in, but he could feel something was off.

Jin stood up on the couch and squeezed his son. Kookie couldn't get his arms free to hug Jin back, so he just nuzzled his head into Jin's shoulder. He must not have changed before falling asleep. His shirt smells like he's probably been running all over looking for me, Jungkook thought, regretting he forgot to assure his father he was okay.

"I will keep you on a leash the next time you do that again," uttered Jin. He was shivering, partially from fear and partially from anger. However, the anger faded quickly as he held Jungkook close.

"I'm an idiot. I'm sorry I scared you, Dad," Jungkookie said, guilt hitting him like a wave in the ocean during a storm. Jin nodded and squeezed Kookie so he could barely breathe.

"Were you safe?" Jin wondered aloud. Jungkook hummed a yes. His father sighed in relief. Jin let go of his son. "What do you want for breakfast?"

"Anything you want to make," Jungkook replied. The father and son smiled, Jin leading Jungkook into the kitchen. Jungkook sat on the cold marble countertops as he heard his father happily bustling throughout the kitchen. He heard his father pause while opening the fridge.

"We're out of eggs," Jin said, remembering back to the time he'd used eggs as an excuse to go argue with Jungkook's eye doctor. Jungkook tilted his head.

"I thought you got eggs last week. Don't you, like, stockpile them?" Kookie asked, suspicious of this sudden shortage of cooking supplies. "What are you making, anyway?"

"You'll have to wait and see, my boy," Jin giggled. "Although I guess you'll have to wait a little longer than intended. I need to go buy some new eggs." Jungkook's face lit up, realizing this was his chance to sneak in Taehyung.

He figured he had around half an hour once his Dad left. "What's that look for?" asked Jin, curious about Kookie's sudden mood change. Jungkook shook his head nonchalantly to dial down Jin's suspicion.

"Well, I'll be back soon. Don't run off again, or I will buy you a leash," Jin told his son, grabbing the keys as he headed to the front door. He didn't notice that Jungkook hadn't followed him there.