Chapter 1

(PLEASE NOTE: the line separations indicate a change in time or setting). This is a teaser chapter. My chapters will be longer in the future :-) 

It was faint, but Taehyung could sense a change in the waves' scent as he lay basking in the glimmering sun's rays. It was noticeable, but faint enough that he felt no reason to leave the sandbar where he lay sprawled on the sand just below the water's surface. It was faint, but the human's smell was there.

It had been almost unnoticeable at first, but as the minutes dragged on during Taehyung's lounging time, the growing scent of a land boy became too alarming for him to relax. He figured he wasn't in too much danger, as the human obviously hadn't noticed him yet. Nevertheless, he reluctantly wriggled his way to deeper, safer waters.

Taehyung never enjoyed the trips to and from his favorite lounging spot (it being uncomfortable to awkwardly squirm through shallow water), but it made the time spent relaxing all the more valuable. Valuable time that I now have to give up because of some barnacle bastard human, thought Taehyung. Then he paused.

His mood gave way to sympathy as he realized something about the human aroma: tear pheromones. The stranger must have come here to cry. That's probably why he didn't notice me. He's trying to be alone.

Not wanting to risk scaring the crying human, Taehyung decided to be on his way and inspect him from afar if and when the next time the person came.

Taehyung flitted through the water excitedly on his way home. Humans almost never came to Taehyung's small beach; it was rocky, and he had only ever seen one meager, untrodden trail that lead to the shore. When a human did come, he couldn't resist spying on them from behind the clumps of tall rocks jutting out like sea urchin spines through calm waves. They were so intriguing, so mystical. And this one was a boy.

_________________________

After escaping the tedious, hyper attention of a curious-about-his-whereabouts best friend and roommate (Jimin), Taehyung made the quickest trip he ever had from his sea caves to the beach. He was eager to watch the human, figure out why the stranger was there.

As he approached the shore, Taehyung found the closest rock cluster possible to the shore. He hoped the human would show soon: Taehyung was not very patient (a trait he had picked up from years with Jimin).

Taehyung's amber eyes began to drift from the beach, making their way to his glinting tail. Such a beautiful tail it was: a light, pastel violet beginning to transition into a baby blue at the tips. He scowled at his visibly blue edged fins. They were a sign he was maturing, and he knew Jimin would start taunting him about it soon.

He was quickly drawn away from his thoughts as a young human boy (presumably the one from yesterday) stumbled down to the shore, hands slightly reached out in front of him. Taehyung stifled a laugh; the boy looked as off-balance as a mermaid just given legs. When his toes reached the water, he plopped to the sand, tangling his legs together in a seemingly uncomfortable way (criss cross applesauce).

Wow. He must still be upset. He doesn't even care about getting his clothing all wet, Taehyung concluded as he watched waves soak the boy's pants. Taehyung couldn't see his face, because boy was sobbing into his hands.

He wished he could comfort the boy. He wished he could walk out of the water on legs and go hug the crying young man. He wished... no. He was taking this too far. Observe, never approach, Taehyung. How idiotic are you, thinking you can just show up out of the ocean blue and expect to help him without receiving any questions?

And with that, he went to search for another vacant beach to spend his leisure time at. He resolved he wouldn't return to his beach until the boy was gone. And yet he did the exact opposite; Taehyung repeated the same process of longingly eyeing the crying boy for 3 weeks and a day.

Eventually, he grew impatient with the boy's tears, the boy's hidden face. His curiosity became overwhelming, and Taehyung came too close 3 weeks and 2 days after the boy's sudden appearance.

Omg that was really cheesy and awkward writing, am I right? Don't worry. This story starts out kinda slow and awkward but it gets better as it goes on (I've already written the whole thing, so I know). Love ya lots for reading! I hope you enjoyed!