SIXTEEN: innocence

Start from the beginning

Even with the dark night sky falling over us, I could spot that blush of hers from a mile away.

She quickly shook her head, "I don't think those famous men will be coming to find a nobody like me." Bella let out a laugh.

They better not, or they'll have to deal with me. Nobody better.

I flicked the ignition off and stepped out of the door. I took a moment to gather myself, letting out a constricted breath. The conversation sparked an element of anger that I wasn't used to. Jealousy, possessiveness, the unwillingness to share.

I walked over to the passenger side of the car and tried to put on the best face front I could gather before I opened her door. I needed to stay composed until this night was over. I held out my hand for her and felt her delicate palm brush against my skin. I noticed the tighter grip she held on my hand than before, and I realized it was because of her nerves. The action made my anger dissipate as I lead her toward the house.

Bella was quiet as I opened the door of my beta, Harry's house. It was almost instantaneous that the whole room turned towards us, and I was about to spit out at them to stop staring. But tonight I couldn't, I had to remain the normal, human friend of these people that I usually ordered around.

The silence fell over the house and gave my the best death glare to all of them. They had three seconds to look away from my mate before I-

"There you guys are!! Here, grab a truth or dare out of the cup!" Lily held out a red solo cup with scrap paper. The distraction of Lily caused everyone's curious eyes to turn away.

"Truth or dare? What are we in middle school?" I said blankly, wondering what ruse my pack was trying to play.

Lily, who was Harry's mate, gave me an annoyed look at the question. "No! We have a lot of new people here tonight and we wanted to do an icebreaker! It'll be fun, here take one." She inched the cup closer to both of us and Bella reached into the cup to grab a paper. "I'm Lily, by the way, I'm not sure if this broad has told you anything about us yet but I'm so excited to finally meet you! I already know that your Bella, but that's all Logan would reveal to us so we'll have to chat a bit tonight."

Bella's hand anxiously twitched while tangled with mine. "Okay, that sounds fun." Bella's shy smile peaked out and looked over at me. I reached over in the cup and grabbed a silly piece of paper.

"Awesome! Don't open those yet, we're going to wait a bit before we start the game!!" Lily squealed, "Oh, it'll be so much fun! We have prizes and everything."

I tried my hardest not to roll my eyes, but I kept my eyes steady on Bella.

Bella's eyes trailed around the room, and I pulled her hand to look at me. "Do you want to get a drink or something?"

Her eyes flickered over to me and she slowly nodded.

I tucked the truth or dare paper in my pocket, praying that the silly game starts by the time we were gone. We shuffled through the crowd of people, and when their roaming eyes glanced over at me, I ignored them. There was only one thing on my mind.

We arrived at the kitchen where there was a large spread of appetizers, and finger foods. My eyes peeled over to the drink cooler, and I lead us to that. I pulled out a beer for myself, knowing I needed some type of buzz to get through this night.

"What would you like, love?" I whispered softly in her ear.

"Uhh maybe one of those seltzers?" She shrugged, and it was only then I realized how shaky her voice sounded. I squeezed her hand and opened the can for her.

"You want to stay in here for a bit before I introduce you to everyone?" I whispered once again, careful to not let anyone hear. If there was anything about me was that I didn't want anyone sticking their nose where it didn't belong.

She quickly nodded her head, and I let out a deep breath. We were only there for five minutes and I was ready to storm out of there.

"Logan! My man, so happy you could make it!!" I heard Jack's voice trail over us as he approached us. Jack was one of my border security wolves and was trained to kill.

I flicked my eyes over to him, "Yeah me too." His steps sounded closer to us and stopped right in front of Bella and me.

"This must be Bella!" Jack's smile grimaced over his whole face, and he held his hand out for her to shake. She hesitantly encapsulated her other hand over his and gave a shy smile to him. "There's no wonder Logan's been shielding you away, you're quite a sight for sore eyes.

I could've killed him when I heard the expression leave his mouth. The daggers I sent toward him would send a message of what he needed to know. The smile he had on quickly washed away once he took a glance over at my face, and he knew he better scatter.

"Nice to meet you." Bella's voice said barely above a whisper. It was the only thing that could've pulled me out of the idea of killing Jack later.

Jack let out a deep breath, trying to play it safe. "Anyways, I'll see you two around." He shot a glance back over at me once more and rushed on his way.

I watched harshly as he became hidden in the crowd of people, knowing I would deal with him later.

I just needed to make it through the night.

___________
:)

Read ahead 5+ chapters on my patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/iwasalone