Chapter 11

Nic's POV

After leaving Noelle'e, I headed home only to be endlessly teased by my family on my disappearing act.   That afternoon while sitting in the office, I tired to focus on catching up on all my emails.   I was just about done when my mom and dad walked into the room and took the seats in front of the desk.

"Okay son, spill." my mom said.

"I don't know what you are talking about mom, spill what?"  I glanced up from the computer to give her my full attention.   Knowing my mother, this was not going to be a quick chat.

"Don't play coy with me son, I know you.   I have never seen you smile this much since you were a boy.   So now spill.   Is she the one?"

My mom definitely did not know the first thing about being subtle.  I could ignore her question but sometimes it was just easier to give her what she wants.   For a small woman she was like a pitbull when she wanted answers.

"Yes, she is."

"Oh baby!   I am so happy.   I cannot wait to get to know my new daugher in-law!  So when is she coming over?"

"She's not mom.   She freaked when I told her I loved her already.  Normal people don't believe at love at first sight.   And when I left today I invited her for dinner and again she pulled away from me.   She's scared.   My heart aches when I think about how alone she has been her whole life.   I don't think she knows how to be with family.   Her parents died when she was 12, and then the aunt that raised her died while she was in college.   She has no one.   I cannot imagine my life with out this rowdy bunch and she has no one.   I don't know what to do."

I was desperate.   Here I am the CEO of one of the largest hotel chains in the world, more money and power than I ever imagined, but to this one woman, none of that matters.   This women probably had more money than my family.   Her family company did extremely well both nationally and globally.   Hell I had nothing to offer a women who had more than I could ever give her.  A woman who didn't trust easily and shied away from all emotional connections.  I was so screwed.

"That's not all.  Dad do you know DKS Developments?"

"Yes son, your brother and I deal with the quite a bit on securing new locations, we have several contracts pending right now, why do you ask?"

"The company was started by her grandfather, she is currently the acting CEO, but her President is the one to handle day to day operations, she just makes the final decisions on the projects."

"Well I'll be damned.  I never made the connection.  In all our dealings I never met her in person, only phone and email.   She is obviously a very private person if she has gone to such great lengths to protect herself.  So if she doen't run the company everyday, what does she do?"

"Funny enough, she teaches business classes at the community college on the west side of town."

"Well Nicholas that is wonderful so I don't see what the big deal is.   Call her up now and insist she come to dinner tomorrow night.  I will not allow that girl to spend Christmas Eve all alone."   Mom was always on my side.

"I agree with your mother son.  She obviously doesn't want you for your money so I don't see what the big deal is.   She is one of the few women that you can say has more money then you do, so at least you don't need to worry about her being a gold digger.  So man up and call the girl."

With that, both left the office, leaving me to figure out how to get Noelle to agree to dinner.

Sitting here staring at my phone I decided to man up and call her.