Chapter Twenty Seven

The party is chaotic. There is a beeline of cars starting from the entrance of the three-story mansion up to the full street of Beverly Hills waiting to drop off their guests. This is my first time really mingling with famous stars and celebrities. Although I have been invited to a couple of Hollywood parties, none of them were all A-start exclusive parties. I exhale slowly, counting the minutes until we arrive as we await in the car.

Ethan notices my restlessness and puts his hand on top of mine. He looks excessively calm. And handsome. There is something about a man in a black suit that fits tightly to his body.

The next thing I know, I'm walking up the steps toward the front door, hanging on Ethan's arm as if my life depends on it. Once in the mansion, the music and the decoration engulf you. The guests are dressed fashionably. When I say fashionably, I mean as if you're in one of Milan's fashion weeks. Ethan has been generous by providing me with a wardrobe full of fashionable clothes upon our arrival home. They were all purchased and placed from the most famous boutiques in LA. Whether he was trying to escalate my fashion up to his measure or genuinely providing me luxurious clothes, I'll take it. God knows without his help

When a hostess greets us and extends her hand to grab our coats. Ethan puts his hands on my shoulder to help me out of my coat. I get goosebumps the minute the coat is off. Ethan hands off his, and we start walking further into the party. There are some entertainment stations around the large living room. An extensive round bar is placed in the middle where people are sitting and talking. In another room, tables of refreshments and buffet of food are filled with different holiday traditions and non-holiday food.

As we walk around, people approach and greet us. Many try to grab Ethan's attention and talk to him about business, but Ethan is very selective in whom he talks to, which shows how valuable his time it. I see many famous celebrities, many of whom meeting them is an absolute honor. But it is interesting to see many of them hold Ethan in a higher place. I mean, who wouldn't? He is not only the CEO of a huge production company but also a great producer, director, and actor himself. Everyone would want a piece of his time and attention.

Right in the middle of the foyer leading to the garden outside is a huge ice statue, craved into a large turkey. However, some parts of it have started to melt already.

A man yells Ethan's name at the top of his lungs from our left. I crane my neck and peak as a huge and well-built man approaches us.

"Ethan, man, how's it going?" the man speaks loudly as he hugs Ethan brotherly and taps on his back.

"Alejandro, so good to see you," Ethan responds. "You met my wife? This is Evelyn. Evelyn, Alejandro, is one of our esteemed directors. He's going to be nominated for Oscars this year."

"Fingers crossed man; fingers crossed." Alejandro shakes his head, smiling. "Nice to meet you, Evelyn. So nice to see Ethan finally settling down. Sorry I couldn't attend your wedding."

"Nice to meet you." I manage to reply, biting my lips. I try to stop myself from adding any comment because I don't want to say something that would embarrass Ethan. All these years, I have assumed the reason Ethan stopped our relationship was because I wasn't good enough. I was an embarrassment. I don't want him to distance himself again. Whether it was indeed because of what I assume it was, which claims that it wasn't, or not, I want to make him proud. I want him to know that I can be a trophy wife and a lover all at the same time. Isn't that what Lorena was going to be?

"Hey, don't be so nervous. It's a huge party. No one really cares what happens tonight." Alejandro pads my shoulders. How did he read my mind so obviously? Despite his reassuring words, I still smile nervously.