Chapter Six

Closing the door of the bathroom behind me, I lean against it. I just signed my death agreement for a year. I would have to sit around and watch as he humiliates me actively, flirting with other women and ignoring me all the while. A marriage as it seems doesn't have a meaning for him. For all the union it would bring, he would keep ignoring me and I would become the wallflower of his eyes. Someone who is never seen and paid attention to.

The worst part of this is I would be all alone. I wish I hadn't broken my relationship with Chris.

I look in the mirror, find myself crying vicious over this matter.

No, I don't. I don't wish that. I would never break my vows, be that my future husband would.

Swallowing hard, I turn on the faucet and cup my hands under the running water before splashing it over my face. I can get over it. I know I can. For the sake of Jesse if not my parents.

When I walk out of the bathroom and walk back to where we were sitting, I find the gentlemen on their feet and about to leave. Joining the leaving party, I fake a smile.

"Miss Campbel, if you decide you wish to add more to your prenup, I'll be in service," my lawyer offers.

"Thanks, Neil, but I think that's as much as I could get. I'm not gritty," unintentionally, or perhaps intentionally, I say the last words louder than the rest of the sentence. That grabs Ethan's attention who gives me a side glance.

Once they leave, I walk back to where I was sitting to grab my bag. That's when I notice Ethan's presence behind me, watching me. I grab my purse and hang the strip over one shoulder.

"You've got what you wanted. Congratulations," I say bitterly as I turn around,

He's standing, lips pursed into a thin line, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed.

"I guess now I understand why they say you're so good at business deals. Desperate people would do desperate things," I mutter sadly and start walking past him. "I'm ready for dinner," and with that, I make my way to the front door.

Sitting in the car, a few moments later, with Ethan as the driver this time, I opt to look out and ignore him, but no matter how much I would deny my feeling, I could never close my eyes on how my body reacts to him instantly. Do you ever have this crush on someone that you shouldn't and you couldn't but you still have? I guess that's why we call a crush.

I just have to deal with it. Live with it.

After a dead silent ride, we finally arrive at the restaurant chosen by Ethan. The restaurant, one of the marvelous most spoken about places here in LA, stands tall with cameramen and paparazzi surrounding it. It's prepaid scene, you see. The media is invited to the show beforehand, by someone who is "close to the couple". They think they're being smart by gathering beforehand, but what they are missing is the fact that they are a pawn in our little game.

Ethan walks out of the car and turns around to my side to get me. The gentlemanlike behavior. And here goes nothing.

Extending his hand, wearing a warm smile, one that the media would melt over it, Ethan offers his help. Like the little fragile princess I should appear to them, I walk out of the car with his hand wrapped around mine. Soon, I have my arm around his and walk the short distance toward the entrance. Midway, a valet appears and gets Ethan's keys from him.

Reporters, information hungers, as I would like to call them shoot us with their nonsense questions.

"Mr. Kingstone, what's your comment on your new relationship?"