34. Early surprises

I wake alone, my stomach is in knots and I feel like I need to throw up. I quickly jump out of bed, not caring that I’m still naked, and run for the bathroom. I just make it in time before I’m emptying the contents, or lack thereof, of my stomach into the toilet. Tobias is soon right behind me rubbing gentle circles on my back, whispering that everything is ok, I’m not sure if it’s for me or for himself but he’s been saying it a lot more lately. I finally empty everything and after a couple of dry heaves, I sit back and lean on Tobias, he grabs a towel from above his head and helps clean me up before kissing me gently in my hair and helping me up but he doesn’t let me leave the room. I look at him confused, I can tell he’s contemplating something but I am not sure what.
“ Um.....Uriah and Max are here, they just got a nice view of you as you ran through before. I’ll go get you some clothes, don’t move” he says nervously.
Embarrassed, I cover my face with my hands “ why didn’t you tell me?” I ask before he walks out the door.
“ I didn’t exactly have a chance Tris, you came running through so quickly, I thought you were still sleeping. I’m sorry. I’ll be back in a sec”
He leaves, closing the door behind him. I slink to the floor slowly as my head suddenly starts spinning and making me feel dizzy, I think I need to vomit again.
I try to get up but I can’t seem to lift myself up off the floor, I drag myself across the room backwards on my  butt then I grab hold of the toilet to steady myself as I hoist myself up, using it as leverage but I lose my grip and just as Tobias comes back with my clothes, I fall back down and hit my head on the toilet bowl then... black.

TOBIAS

I quickly grab some clothes for Tris and as I’m heading back out Max stops me to ask a question, I answer it as accurate as I can and head to the bathroom. As I open the door I see Tris pass-out after she hit her head on the toilet. I quickly Chuck her clothes on the floor as I run to her “ Tris, Tris can you hear me?” I check her neck for a pulse and I sigh in relief when I feel it but it’s weak. I scoop her up in my arms and I’m about to walk back out when I remember she’s naked.  Shit!
I turn around and see the towel I gave to Tris earlier on the floor, I carefully bend down to pick it up, making sure a have hold of Tris and sit her on my thigh so I can cover her up. Once I’m satisfied that she is well covered, I stand not so gracefully and almost stumble out of the bathroom, I quickly pass Max and Uri and take her to our room and lay her down gently. I walk back out and tell Max that i need to get Tris to the infirmary so he needs to leave and walk him to the door, once he’s gone I turn to Uri “ can you fill in for my shift this afternoon? I need to get Tris to the infirmary” I ask him as I walk back towards our room, “ yeah, no worries. Zeke’s on shift so he can help me” he says with a grin before turning and leaving. I rush back to Tris and check her pulse again, it’s getting weaker, I quickly but gently dress her as best as I can and rush her to the infirmary.

*******

I pace back and forth waiting for someone to come out and tell me what’s going on, what the hell happened and that Tris and the baby are fine, it’s been 3 hours!
“Four” I hear behind me, I eagerly turn around to greet the Dr but stop short when I see his grim expression, my chest begins to tighten as I choke back tears “ how are they?” I ask, my voice croaky and hoarse, “ the chemo isn’t working, the cancer is starting to spread, this as well as her pregnancy has put enormous strain on her body and it’s too weak to fight back, it was shutting down Four. We have put her in an induced coma, and we have machines breathing for her as a precaution. You can come see her now” he says. “ what about our baby?” I ask fearing the answer “we had to make a judgement decision on the spot, we didn’t have time to come and ask you. Come with me” he says gesturing behind him before he turns and begins to walk down the hallway, I stumble behind him.
What did he mean by that? Where are we going? Is he taking me to Tris?
We walk around a couple or corners before stopping at a glass wall, I look in and see a couple of babies sleeping in cribs and one in a clear box type crib with wires everywhere, I knew immediately- that was my son. He has Tris's nose but my chin and dark hair, a perfect mix of both of us, his eyes tightly shut as he sleeps peacefully. I smile as I turn back to the Dr “ thank you. He’s beautiful” I say, the doctor nods before guiding me to Tris.
As we get to her room he stops briefly before opening the door and inviting me in, I take a look around her room, wires, monitors and tubes all around her then my eyes settle on the sleeping form in the middle of it all, she looks peaceful and happy rather than like a person who is sick. A lone tear trickles down my cheek and drops to the floor as I walk to her and grab her hand, it’s cold, I give it a light squeeze but nothing happens. I sit beside her bed and lay my head beside our hands, drifting off shortly after.