Chapter 34 (Sasha)

Start from the beginning

"I wouldn't count on it mother. I'm going to confess to everything. What we did was wr-"

Slap!

My mother slapped me.

The guards came in and restrained her.

"After everything! Everything we've done for you! After everything, we worked towards! You're betraying us?" My mother yelled.

I don't look at her. I turn to the guard. " Please take me away from here."

He doesn't say anything until we're out of the cell and the door is locked behind me.

"Do you want to talk to your father?" The guard asks me. Before I'm able to answer, a fancier looking armed man comes in.

"No time. The lawyer is here to talk to her." Ok then. I guess I didn't have to be the one to tell everyone that I definitely didn't want to talk to my father.

I'm led to my cell, and only once I inside do they unlock my cuffs. Not two minutes later, a lady wearing a business suit comes in. Honestly, she didn't look all that ugly. I was imaging more of an old man, that was balding. Not a twenty-something young woman.

"Alexandra Mills, It's good to meet you. I'm Layla Norms, I've been assigned to represent you in this case."

"Pleasure. Look ms. Norms, I'm guilty."

"Oh, of that we have no doubt. We have video evidence and a confession from you. However, we'd like to understand your point of view. What happened from your perspective. That way, we could lessen your sentence. Maybe get something less than a life sentence. You're young, you'll be here for a while." The lawyer told me.

I didn't know what to say. I mean, she was right. Everyone knew I was going to be stuck here for years.

"What do you want me to do?" I ask after a minute of deliberating.

"I just need you to talk. To tell your side of things. I believe there was something that caused you to become this way. I need to know what it is to be able to help you out."

"Ok."

"Good, kid. Now, in a couple of hours, they're going to give you clothes to change into. You'll be speaking in front of the judge."

"Doesn't this sort of thing take months or even years to go to court?" I ask, a bit in disbelief.

"Usually, but not when you're dealing with a government agency and a bunch of very rich people. Also, all the evidence is on the table." Layla tells me.

"Shouldn't you know be telling me what I can and cannot say?" I ask. Like, I can tell that she's new, but if she's a government-assigned lawyer, then she should be competent. At least, I deserve a chance. Come on!

"Just tell the truth. I believe in you."

"Why?" I ask, quietly.

"Because although I may be a lawyer, I double majored in psych. And I'm going to use my knowledge to help you. Now, mentally prepare yourself. You have two and a half hours to get ready." She says the last part with a smirk.

Psh! As if I need TWO and a HALF HOURS to get ready. Especially in prison. Plus, I did dance for, like, 16 years. I can change, very quickly.

About 15 minutes after Layla left, a guard came in, handing me a short black dress, with simple black flats in my size. They also handed me a little bit of hair gel, a hairbrush, toothbrush and a few hair elastics. I guess I'm not yet being trusted with a razor of hairspray. Oh well, after years of dance competitions, I definitely know how to make do with what I have.