Chapter 44

WARNING: Mentions of depression.

"I'm so sorry! This is all my fault!"

Everybody froze and turned to Allison who looked like she was going to die of anxiety.

"What do you mean this is all your fault?" Max asked, hesitantly. He didn't want to know the answer but he had to find out for your sake.

"I'm so, so sorry. I never meant for this to happen." She whimpered and Max grabbed onto her shoulders harshly, "Start talking."

"It was after (Y/N) came back. I was feeling insecure because she was so close to you. She's your ex-girlfriend...and you spent more time with her than your own girlfriend!" At Max's glare she realized that she wasn't helping herself, "Long story short...I asked her to stay away from you or I'd break up with you."

Allison was so ashamed; she couldn't even look at any of her friends standing in front of her and instead stared at her feet.

"You what?!" Max seethed, gritting his teeth. Finally, everything was falling into place. The reason you stopped hanging out with them. The reason you stopped hanging out with Max. The reason you would become distant every time Allison was in the room.

This whole time he thought it was jealously, he thought you just couldn't stand to see them together. So, he let you be. So, you could get over him. But now, he felt foolish, he felt stupid. He never should have trusted anyone over you.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think this would happen."

"What did you think would happen, huh? When you tried to rip away the support system of a girl who was going through depression. What did you think would happen?" He spat, watching as his girlfriend shrunk in size in front of him.

"You were always so close to her...I was scared you'd leave me for her." She explained pathetically.

"Because she needed me! More than you ever would! More than you could ever understand! How-how could you do that to her!" Max has never felt so helpless in his life. He couldn't do anything other than yell at Allison.

Even though he knew it wouldn't help. He just couldn't stop his mouth. His heart was sinking and he felt a pain he never did before.

"I'm sorry!"

"Just....Just get out." He muttered harshly. He wanted somebody to blame. Somebody to hold responsible but truthfully, he was just as responsible as her. He should have been more attentive to you. He should have let you know he cared more.

He should have let you know that you meant the world to him.

A tired chuckle left Allison's mouth, "I always knew you'd pick her over me."

But Max didn't break the strong and intense stare he was holding with her. The look seemed to project everything he felt. She could see the sadness and fear of losing you in his eyes, the anger at her and himself but the love in his eyes was unmistakable. And it was clearly not for her.

"Don't flatter yourself, Allison, I'd choose (Y/N) over everybody. Including myself."

"Poor, (Y/N), she must be so alone." Whimpered Phoebe.

"Stop! Stop it! Hahaha! That tickles! Stop!" You laughed as the dolphins continued to nuzzle you using their beaks

"Stop! Stop it! Hahaha! That tickles! Stop!" You laughed as the dolphins continued to nuzzle you using their beaks. You squealed, splashing them with water before one of them slapped your behind using their tails.

You reached the island paradise after a day. By the time you had mastered moving water to push your boat forward at the highest speed. When you reached the shore, you were exhausted and immediately fell asleep in your broken boat but when sunrise came you felt the greatest feeling you could possibly ever feel.

The sand was warm underneath your bare feet and the cool but at the same time warm ocean waters were licking at your toes. You just couldn't stop yourself from rushing into the water.

It was past noon and you were still in the water, exploring the waters and playing with a pod of dolphins and a bale of playful sea turtles. When the sun was setting only did you realize that you hadn't eaten anything. And while you had snacks in your backpack, you wanted to save them for when you began to miss junk food.

For now, you were loving the island life.

You quickly stumbled your way towards the shore, morphing the water around you to give yourself a push to the sandy beach.

'Exercise 3.'

"What? Now?" You whined, wanting to find something to eat.

'It's simple enough. Just morph every drop of water on your body and in your hair back into the water.'

That was easier said than done, because the water on your skin was in drops, which meant you had to exercise your control on every single drop. It took all of your concentration and you failed so many times that your body dried itself. But just when you were going to call it a day, the ocean doused you in water.

'Try again.'

By the time you were finished, the moon was casting a silver glow onto the island and you pouted because you were able to explore the island.

'Build a fire and find some food.'

"How do I do that?" You asked, miffed that you wasted the whole day trying to do the suns job. It didn't make any sense. You were a force of water, why dry things?

'Find some dry wood and leaves. Check out the jungle.'

"But-But what if there are monsters?" You asked, a little terrified. The jungle looked pitch black to you and you had absolutely no idea what creatures were roaming around in there.

'You have a force of nature on your side, nothing will happen to you. Nature is meant to protect you.'

You sighed, feeling your stomach burn painfully at not being filled for hours. However, before heading towards the jungle, you kneeled before the waves, scooping some water into your hands and morphing it to leave the salt behind before taking a big gulp.

Panting and drinking some more, you finally let your body relax a bit, basking in the glow of the moon and smiling when you felt the water graze your feet again. It was true euphoria, true freedom.

You never imagined you'd ever feel that free as you did while you played with the ocean and its creatures. You never imagined you'd ever feel like you had a family without any actual people. You never imagined you'd ever feel this happy again.

Sure, you felt bad for leaving your friends back in Hiddenville and on some level you did miss them. You didn't want them to feel bad. You wanted them to know that they did the best they could but they could never make you happy until you were happy with yourself.

So, when you looked up at the moon, you could only smile, feeling warmth come from deep inside you and you knew you found it. You found true love. Within yourself.