Chapter 33

The bags felt way heavier when you came back than when you had left. They were weighing your arms down as you paused in the hallway. You never thought you'd be back here, ever. The creaks underneath your feet as you walked up the stairs was no longer familiar, it was eerie. The musty smell was suffocating, not comfortable.

Even though it was well lit, it felt dark and distant to you. Even though you could hear the kids running around in the backyard, you've never felt more alone.

You had been here as long as you could remember, it was the only home you ever knew. 

When you had left, you never felt homesickness, you never felt bittersweet because it meant that you were finally getting a family and not just watching from the outside. 

Because you had lived here since the beginning, you never knew what it meant to miss your family. All the children who remembered losing their parents, you could never relate to them because you never had someone to miss in the first place.

But returning here, after finally getting what you wanted your entire life was heartbreaking, because you realized that you could never get it again.

No one would ever want you.

You'd never leave.

And you'd never get your family back.

Those thoughts swirled in your head as soon as you entered, and forced you to your knees when you entered your old bedroom, seeing how it was just the way you had left it.

You don't remember how long you cried or screamed, all you remember was your fist clutching desperately at your chest, trying to stop the pain ripping into you from the inside.

You had been lying in bed for hours, trying to fall asleep and twisting and turning but unable to sleep. Your tears had dried eventually and the pain in your chest dulled after a while but you couldn't erase it and eventually settled for trying to sleep away your problems. 

You were sleepy and tired but your body just wasn't able to get comfortable. You had been lying awake for hours now and the sun was slowly starting to creep up, sunlight leaking into your room.

You had gotten too used to the bed back in Adam's house.

Sighing, you sat up, deciding to get ready for school and cringing when you heard a familiar clink.

The bracelet on your arm, you almost forgot about it. The Thundermans got you a new one after the last time, to control your powers until you could do it yourself.

Slugging yourself to the bathroom, you took a long, cold shower, to wash away any tiredness in your face and got dressed, deciding to get there early so you could avoid everyone and head to the library.

You reached school pretty early, since there weren't many people on the road, it was easy for you to cross the roads even when the light was red. You pushed open the doors, rushing through the corridor and passing a few empty classes and a few occupied ones before reaching the library.