Chapter 27

"Happy 3-month-a-versary!" Adam cheered as he set down a plate of your favorite breakfast in front of you.

You rolled your eyes but didn't even try to repress the smile growing on your face, "People don't celebrate three months, you loser."

He grinned at you and began eating his own breakfast, "Anything planned after school today?"

"Um, I think I have a club meeting. Do you mind picking me up an hour late?"

Adam sent you a sweet smile and nodded. Adam had insisted that he drive you places, so you wouldn't have to walk, like you used to. He also needed to drop and pick you up from school because you always managed to fall asleep on the ride to and from your house and thus couldn't even remember how to get to the next block.

You quickly shoveled more of the food into your mouth, grabbing his car keys, smiling when Adam reached out to ruffle your hair.

Adam and you had a system, you'd grab your bags and switch on the car, turning up the air conditioner to cool the car off while Adam did the dishes. Even though you told him you could do the dishes once in a while, he tried his best to make sure you didn't have many chores.

Turning the air conditioner up, you slid into the backseat and leaned against the window. It wasn't long before you felt the familiar lull of sleep. You tried to keep yourself awake until Adam came into the car but soon enough you were catching some shut-eye.

You barely even felt Adam come in, buckle your seat belt and then switch off the A/C.

You glanced at your ringing phone during lunch, grinning when you saw Phoebe's picture pop up and answering her call

"Pheebs!"

"Hey (Y/N)! Replace us yet?!"

You laughed, "Nope, not yet, no one comes up to my expectations."

"Good!"

"How's Hiddenville? Falling to pieces without me already?"

You could hear the laughter in her voice, "Yeah, sure."

You opened your mouth to ask her what time it was there currently but you were cut off by some commotion in the background, "Max? Hey! Give me back my-!"

"Hey, (Y/N)."

"Um, hey, Max." You could hear him walk away from his sister as her voice got more distant and heard him close the door.

"H-How's your new home?"

You tried to kill the butterflies blooming in your stomach, "It's fine, great actually."

"That's, great, really great." You nodded even though he couldn't see you.

"I just wanted to tell you, if you want to date someone else, I'll be okay with it." Your brows furrowed, pulling themselves down along with the corners of your mouth.

"What are you talking about?"

"Just, that if you wanted to date someone else, I'd be fine with it. It's time we moved on now anyway."

You sighed, briefly recalling a similar talk you had with him a month ago. He had tried to tell you to move on so you could rebut him and tell him that you'd only love him but when he didn't get the reaction he'd hoped for, he hurt his own feelings.

"Max, I'm sorry but I already told y-"

"And if I wanted to go out with someone else, you'd be okay with it, right?"

You froze, your hand nearly losing its grip on your phone, "What?"

"You see, there's this girl, Allison."

Your breath hitched but you were quick to gain your state of mind back.

"Um, yeah, sure. You can go out with her, what am I going to do about it anyway? Not like I'm coming back anytime soon."

You heard him breathe a sigh of relief and your heart sunk deeper in your chest, "Thanks (Y/N). You're the best ex-girlfriend ever."

You smiled weakly, "How many ex-girlfriends do you have, Max?"

He laughed good-naturedly, "I'll hand the phone back to Pheobe now. Bye."

"Bye."

You hung up. You weren't in the mood to talk to Phoebe right now. You waited quietly in the cafeteria for the bell to ring before going to your next class.

( Y / N ) : H e y c l u b m e e t i n g c a n c e l l e d s o n o n e e d t o c o m e l a t e

A d a m : C o o l B e a n s

( Y / N ) : H a h a Y o u l o s e r