Chapter 8 - What Lies Ahead

Start from the beginning

"Wait! Where is Himoko?!"

"The safest place she can be." He smirked at Aang before finally taking his leave, leaving the avatar to mull over his words, confused on where Himoko's whereabouts were at.

"Aang!" Aang shook his head, snapping out of his thoughts, joining his friends on top of the Sky Bison.

"Did Bumi just bend?"

"Yeah, long story, he wants to stay captured?"

"Himoko's grandpa is surely a crazy King." 'A smart crazy king.' Thought Aang as they took flight.

"Speaking of Himoko, did Bumi say anything?" Katara asks her friend.

"He said that, she is 'at the safest place she can be', any ideas?" The siblings glanced at each other, shaking their heads.

"Well, if Bumi says that she is safe, then we can only take his word for it." Sokka muttered in reply, gripping Appa's reigns tighter.

---

Days passed and Himoko had yet to step foot outside of the palace again, deciding to collect more information while inside.

News did come, and worst to their fears- Omashu was taken by the Fire Nation, and renamed New Ozai.

But- Word came from insiders that the citizens were safe, a rebellion group formed, and were out of the city and away from the Fire Nation. However King Bumi was still captured and nowhere to be seen or heard from.

Himoko sat in the extensive library, glancing up at the Dai Li Agent that was assigned to her to stay by her side at all times unless she goes to the restroom or inside of her room.

It was suffocating to be watched like this, but every day she was assigned a new Dai Li Agent instead of the same one. And today, she was assigned Salem.

The mark on his face from getting backhanded by Long Feng was long gone. He hadn't spoken to her about being hit like that, and it seemed to be for good reason. It was as if no one should know about it outside of the Dai Li Agents. Only reason Himoko knew was because of her bending, and the implication of it when she saw him again.

He was reading his own book across from her, his agent get up not as intimidating when he was doing something so mundane.

She was beginning to view Sadem as a friend and a potential ally, unlike the other agents who stayed quiet and only spoke when she asked them something. Here at least- Salem would strike up their own conversations.

"How long have you been with the Dai Li?" Questioned Himoko as she has been wondering and meaning to ask him. Sadem was younger than the rest of the Dai Li, looking to be around 18.

"Only for a year, I'm still considered a Recruit or a Newbie." 'Ha, noob.' Himoko commented to herself in thought as she nodded, "How do you even become an agent?"

"If you are thinking there is a job fair for it, you are far from wrong." Stated the boy, moving his head back and forth, cracking the tense muscles. "Long Feng picks us personally, he regularly goes to earthbending lessons in the city to scout out more potential agents. That's the usual cut throat way." Himoko rose a brow, closing her book and tossing it on the ground, having not really found it too interesting to read further.

"Were you picked like that?" He shook his head, a small cocky smirk quirking up his lips.

"Nope. I was picked while I was running after stealing some fruit from the market stalls in the second ring."