Chapter 8 - What Lies Ahead

3rd Person's POV

"You could earth bend all along!?" Aang questions his friend, the laughing King snickered with a small nod, "Well, they didn't cover my face." Bumi lifts up his head, sending them off of the chute, his metal coffin landing straight up on a newly formed rock. Aang landing in front of him, confusion drawled across his face.

"I don't understand. Why didn't you free yourself? Why did you surrender when Omashu was invaded? What's the matter with you, Bumi!?"

"Listen to me, Aang. There are options in fighting, called gin. It's a choice of how you direct your energy."

"I know!" Aang lifts up his hand, counting them off of his fingers, "There's positive gin when you're attacking, and negative gin when you're retreating."

"And neutral gin, when you do nothing!"

"There are three gins?" Aang yells, lifting up another finger for the added gin, 'Since when?!'

"Well, technically there are eighty five. But, let's just focus on the third. Neutral gin is the key to earth bending. It involves listening and waiting for the right moment to strike."

"That's why you surrendered, isn't it?"

"Yes, and it's why I can't leave now." Aang looks down at his feet, turning so his back was facing Bumi, disappointed.

"I guess I need to find someone else to teach me earthbending."

"Your teacher will be someone who has mastered neutral gin. You need to find someone who waits and listens before striking." A thought occurred to Aang, realizing that before... Bumi didn't react to not seeing Himoko with them.

"You don't even want to leave for Himoko's sake?"

"She is on her own path of gin, well also to keep her safe and away from the Fire Nation that has taken over our home."

"You know where she is then!" Aang felt his heart rate jump, excitement on his face as he turned back around, pointing an accusatory finger at the senior bender.

"Of course! It is my job to know where she is! I am glad to know that she didn't tell you lot where she went!"

"Why? Why did you tell her not to let us know Bumi?!"

"The Fire Nation has been planning on taking Omashu as their own for many years, it was only a matter of when they would strike. It was put into motion rather quickly after word spread of Himoko's ancestry. After she pulled that not so smart stunt. Which by the way- WHY DID YOU LET HER DO THAT?!"

"Ah I'm sorry! I-I didn't know what she was planning and she w-was in a s-sort of tight spot and-!" Bumi cackled, reeling his head back against the coffin, tears springing in his eyes from how much he was laughing, "Oh don't worry! I am not mad at either of you!" Aang released a sigh of relief, wiping away the sweat he felt trailing down the side of his head.

"I prefer to know that she showed the world who she was when fighting against her enemies, and not it be against her will!"

"Positive gin..." Muttered Aang, recalling the moment of seeing her airbend at the prison fort.

"Correcttt!" Momo swoops down from who knows where- Landing onto Aang's shoulder, chittering loudly at the two.

"Hey, Momo!"

"Momo's mastered a few gins himself!" Momo looks up at Bumi, screams, then ding dong ditches the two.

"Goodbye, Aang. I'll see you when the time is right." Bumi goes to lean back, stopped by Aang's sudden shout.