Chapter 11: It only gets worse (Jangra POV)

I got up, I wanted to sleep. I had heard the bad news and I did not even want to be near my father right now. I was sure of why he was separating with my mother. It disgusting me that he could betray her and us like that.
He did know that we were his kids as well as hers right? He was thinking of the black dragon that he considered his love but they left each other because they were of a different tribe, and a different race none the less.
I had heard stories of it, red dragons and black dragons getting together. They had strange children that looked weird and scared everyone. There had been a red dragon a few years before I had even been born that had a baby that was purple.
Everyone knew what it was, she had been with another dragon other than her husband. It was a black dragon none the less and it disgusted me to see my father going after a relationship with her again. Especially when he had 3 kids and a wife that loved him so much.
I knew why he was thinking about her as well. I'm sure that black dragon that was with him and telling him stuff he had asked about her or none the less thought about her. I shook my head just thinking about it, how my father could betray our mother.
I feared for the whole tribe as well, if he was betraying our mother than who knows if he might just go and betray every dragon that was in camp. I tried to stop thinking about it though. My father could easily cast me out if he did not like me or what I was saying.
As leader he has so much power, it is not even fair to think about, I had heard stories of other tribes casting out their own brothers and their own children. I never thought it was real, maybe it was, if my own father could betray our mother like that.
The bell began ringing for everyone to get up, I had only heard it once before, when I was very young, the humans had found us and tried hunting us for sport, we moved very far up north to get away from it. I was not allowed in the meeting because I was not 20 years of age, but it was so late now I was at least 20 years so not anyone could reject me.
I thought about Penta getting mad seeing that I was there but then I realized that she would not know either. She was just a few months from turning 20 years. I was happy that she would not be there, I did not want to talk to her.
My brother and my sister woke up, they looked around a bit confused, my brother then realized what it was for and he nodded and looked at my mother. He knew that she often went to those meetings with the leader and the deputy.
Sometimes there would be a few others, like maybe because of something one dragon did or because they were and important older dragon that they needed advice from, the elders as they were called.
I sat down, I didn't want to get up, I did not want to hear the news, I had already had so much bad news happen to me today, I did not want to here any more.
My mother wasn't looking at my brother though, she was looking at the ground sadly which confused my brother a great deal. Normally our mother was always happy about everything, but right now that was not the case, and could I really blame her?
"What's going on? We only have those for bad news, it is never any good news." My brother said to both me and my mother. I shook my head, I did not know, they only news I had heard was bad news from my mother, unless he was telling other dragons that he was divorcing my mother. It really would not surprise me.
I thought on it for a few moments but then shook my head on it, there was a black dragon in the camp, I'm sure everyone was thinking the same thing that my brother Plok was right now. They had all seen her, they tried not to look at her, my father didn't like people looking at things that he considered, "guest".
I was so mad about my father right now, all I could really think about was all of the bad things he had done, I could not even think about him being a good leader with the news my mother had just told me about. I shook my head in disgust, looking around making sure my brother and sister had not noticed that.
"It's something about the black dragon that is in our camp, you are soon to find out..." My mother said to Mik and Plok. I looked away, they would be wondering why I looked so wrong. They might think that I got the news before they did and they might get jealous.
"That can't be anything good then." Mik said almost as if she was talking to herself. I agreed with her there, a black dragon in camp and the bells ringing for everyone to get up. This I could only smell bad news from. I shivered a little bit.
"It's not just that, I want to tell all of you something after this meeting with the group, it is important, all of you must stay up for it." My mother said to both of them. I sat at the ground looking sad and this time Plok noticed and he shook his head as if he was confused.
I felt bad for both of them, whatever was going on right now in the group, they were about to hear bad news, and right after that, there would be even more bad news, potentially even worse than what my father was about to tell everyone.
I was sure I already knew what it was, my guts told me that the black dragons were planning an attack on us, Yikla was here for clearly an important reason, and if we were ready, however long it might be till they came to attack, then they would stand no chance.
They could only beat us up in close combat, they would stand no chance in the sky. But some red dragons were not the smartest on the market so, they could fight them at long range as if it was a close quartered attack.
Once all of us were ready and my mother nodded for all of us to go, she followed right behind us, we did as she requested. The tribe were all leaving all of their caves which were spread out thuroly through out the tribe. It was filling up very fast.
There were about 1000 dragons in our tribe, my father talked very loud you could almost hear it from a mile away, he told me that I would get that voice soon, but I just shook my head not wanting to even think about my father at this moment in time.
After the news that my mother had just told me, it disgusted me. I had lost all of my respect for that dragon, I almost did not want to call him my father anymore. Techinically he did not call us his children if he was just going to cast out us and our mother like we were some sort of trash.
I shivered once my mind came back to the presence though, the reason that all of the community was up, it had too be something super important. Yikla had said to me that she needed to talk to my father because it was important.
I shook my head once again when I said in my head the word father, was he really my father anymore? From now on I would just call him Himla, and I would not be surprised if he was happy to hear that from me.
I thought back to what was going on, if what I thought was happening was true, then I needed to thank Yikla, she had betrayed her own tribe, but it was for the best of all dragons, black and red. It did not matter. If you had to betray an evil tribe than that is what must be done.
I could not blame her, and if it was truly something evil such as that, then she had to do what needed to be done. For the betterment of all of the dragons. If what she said was true about the stories that she had heard about my father. Than our tribe would be the first one that they would attack.
I walked over to my friend Kota, I almost wanted to tell him what Penta had said to me earlier, but right now was probably not the best time for that, he was with his wife which was quite a few years older than him. They looked happy and I was glad they were getting along.
"Hey Jangra, any idea what this might be about? Heard the walked in with another dragon and your father is the leader after all." Kota said to me. Me and him used to be very close friends, but lately he had stopped talking to me, he was still talking to me like I was though which made me feel quite a bit better.
"My father doesn't tell me anything about his meetings, but yeah I came in with a black dragon earlier, right after me and Penta had a few words..." I said to him looking at him slowly and sadly. He nodded and looked as if he understood what I was talking about. He knew that Penta had been eyeing him for quite some time.
He always said that he was not attracted to her and I had admitted my love about her to him. Him and Kip were the only dragons out of that group I still talked to besides Penta. But I dont think I would be talking to her all that much anymore.
I was fine with it honestly, there were always bigger and better dragons out there that I would find. The grass was always greener on the other side, like the catch phrase that everyone always liked to tell me.
"Kip told me you were eyeing that dragon the whole way to camp. Be careful with black dragons man, they can trick you and put a spell on you." He said to me. I shook my head at him, I was surprised that Kip had noticed but I did not admit it to him.
"I was only looking at her to make sure she wasn't trying to attack anyone..." I said to him. He looked as if he was confused for a few seconds but then he nodded, though he still did not look like he completely believed what I was saying to him.
"Kota, leave him alone... Its a bit mean. Getting together with black dragons is nothing to joke about, it has happened before. Remember my father?" His wife said to him. His wifes name was Zati, she was just as beautiful as Penta, he had made a good choice there.
"Fair enough... Sorry, I suppose you are the son of the leader, she could easily attack you." He said to me. I nodded and accepted the apology, my father was not up at the main stage and I did not know what was taking so long.
"It's all good, if she did it would start a war, and I don't think they would want that, they didn't win the last one." I said to Kota. He nodded and then looked at the ground as if he was thinking about something, he was a smart dragon as well, I could not say the same for Penta.
"Maybe so... But that might be just what they are getting at if that is what this meeting is about." He said to me. Clearly he had put some time and thought into it just like I had. His wife looked a bit confused but then she just nodded.
Himla got up and then yelled very loudly for everyone to be quiet. After everyone slowly began to head into silence then he began to talk.
"Now normally as you all know, I do not share my meetings with the tribe, but when it is something rare and important like this then I will, there is a black dragon in our camp and she has news for us." He said to everyone that was around us.
All of the sudden the entire tribe went into mayhem hearing the words black dragon, some of the dragons looked scared and a few others looked like they were about to run away. Me and Kota were sitting there completely still just taking it all in.
"Everyone be quiet!!!" Himla yelled to everyone, this time everyone immediately went into silence. They did not like to find out what happened when my father got angry. I sat there looking around looking at all of the dragons.
They all looked scared and afraid which I was a bit confused as to why, we won the last war did they think that we could not possibly win this one? A lot of these dragons were young or not alive when it happened over 100 years ago so they might not have remembered.
"I need everyone to calm down, and stop yelling, everyone be quiet! Your leader is trying to talk here!" Socra the deputy yelled to everyone. Everyone nodded and Himla nodded to her thanking her for that. After he was sure that everyone had heard that he began talking again.
"Now... The news is, the black dragons are planning an attack on this tribe only, after they 'take me down' then they will attack the others." He said. A few people quietly whispered but everyone else stayed quiet not wanting him to get angry again.
"Since this black dragon, Yikla, so you all knew came in and told us, she has saved many of you guys lives. She is a friendly dragon I want you all to treat her with care while she is hear." He said to all of them. Then he nodded to Yikla for her to get up, so all of the dragons around could see her.
"Hey I recognize that dragon! That is Yikla daughter of Plyma, who is the son of Reg, he started the last war..." One of the older dragons yelled to everyone. As soon as he said that the whole place plunged into chaos and it almost looked like some of the dragons were about to attack her.
I felt bad for her, she came all the way out here to find us so that she could tell us, and all of the dragons were looking at her and talking about her like she was garbage as I could hear from one of the nearby dragons.
"Disgusting, that dragon is probably a liar who is trying to scare us!" Said the dragon. I looked at her and shook my head, clearly she was definitely not one of the smart dragons. I then looked up hearing my father yelling to be quiet, each time he looked even more and more angry.
"I am going have to call this meeting off early, you dragons that have a kid that can not fly fast I want you in the medicine cave, I need a few dragons watching the skies at all times." He said to all of the dragons. Everyone seemed like they were in a calm state of mind now and they were listening to what he was saying.
I could still see a few dragons up close looking at Yikla as if they wanted to fight her. But she was not paying any attention to them, she was busy looking at Himla and listening to him. Nodding at every word he had said.
I could not deny that he was a good and smart leader, but he definitely was not the best father that was for sure.
"You know the word to yell if there is trouble nearby and I want all of you're kids to not leave the cave, that way when something comes then you can get your kid as fast as possible." He said to all of the female dragons, they all nodded and then he got off of the stage.
Once he was gone the place became a nightmare once again and everyone was yelling I could not hear anything that anyone was saying not even up close.
Kip came running over to us, and me and Kota nodded to him when he got near us.
"That is crazy, stay safe you two, especially you Jengra. You are the father of our leader, they will be out for your blood." He said to me. I nodded, I hated it, because now my father didn't look at me as his son, but also the other dragons would come after me.
I did not say anything to Kip though, him and Kota talked for a little bit longer, but I just left them and went back to my cave to try and catch some sleep, I was insanely tired. Once I was in there I sat down, Mik and Plok were talking to each other.
Once they saw that I was in the walked over to me, I just wanted to sleep but I would listen to what they had to tell me at least.
"This is really bad news... What do you think Jangra?" Mik said to me. I was about to talk when I heard a dragon walk into the cave and I turned around, it was my mother and she looked insanely sad.
I remembered what she had told me earlier and I sat there not even wanting to think about it, but I knew what time it was.
"That's just the beginning you guys, it only gets worse."