Chapter Nineteen

*Rosalie*

Soren and I were laying on the couch in the library and I felt him inhale sharply.

"What is it?" I asked. And then I noticed the black spidery veins on his arms. "It's time?"

He nodded.

Soren looked at me with sadness in his eyes. He didn't want to leave me here just as much as I didn't want want him to go. But that wasn't our decision to make. Our fate had been decided the moment Eris placed a curse on us.

"I should have seen this coming," Soren told me, "I just...I never thought that it'd be so soon."

"Does it hurt?" I asked.

"Yes," he replied. I touched his cheek and tried to soothe his pain. "I can't believe this is happening..." he whispered.

"I know," I replied as tears welled up in my eyes. He winced in pain and I felt so helpless. I couldn't help him. I couldn't take his pain away. I could only offer comforting words.

"Promise me that you won't give up on me," he pleaded.

"I promise," I vowed, "I could never give up on you. I love you, Soren."

"I love you too, Rose," he told me.

It was silent for a moment and then he spoke again.

"I measure the length of lives but I never thought that mine would have an end," Soren admitted.

"It's temporary," I reminded him.

"You and I both know that doesn't make it any easier," he told me.

He was right. Knowing that this was temporary didn't make it any easier. It made it all the more unbearable because if I died in the fight against Eris, Soren may never wake up from his coma. And that thought was too terrible to consider.

I ran a hand down his arm and intertwined my fingers with his, trying to make this moment last. He couldn't go. Not yet. I wasn't ready.

"Rose...beloved...it's time for me to go," Soren told me, "I can feel the curse pulling me away."

I looked into his dark blue eyes and kissed his lips.

"I love you," I reminded him, "Hold on to that."

"I will and you will defeat Eris' and break this curse," he told me.

And then his eyes closed and he exhaled once more before going still in my arms. I let my tears fall and they streamed down my cheeks, staining Soren's shirt. My body shook as the sobs escaped my lips and I felt the grief start to consume me. A set of arms wrapped themselves around me and I heard her voice.

"Rosalie," it whispered soothingly. Hecate was here. My Mom was here.

"Mom," I cried.

"I know sweetheart," she soothed, "It'll get better, I promise."

"I have to bring him back, Mom," I sobbed, "I have to."