Prologue

A man walked into his niece's bedroom and smiled when he saw her sitting awake in bed, staring across the room with her blue eyes. She looked bored.

"Can't sleep, moonbeam?" he asked.

"No," she replied, "Will you tell me a story?"

The man turned to the book off the shelf and looked at the numerous stories that his brother and sister in law had procured for their daughter.

"Which one do you want me to read?" the man asked.

"I don't want you to read a story," the girl replied, "I want you to tell me one."

"Which one do you want to hear?" he asked.

"The four brothers," the girl replied.

"That one again? Your Uncle Ryder never finished it did he?" he asked.

"No," the girl sighed, "And I really want to know how it ends. Did the brothers defeat the evil sister? Did they all break the curse?"

The man chuckled.

"Where did your Uncle leave off?" he asked.

"Well Uncle Ryder told me about the third brother and the angry God," the girl replied, "I think that's where he stopped."

The man nodded and sat down next to the girl.

"So after the third brother and his soulmate returned, they helped the other brothers and soulmates devise a plan to stop the angry God," the man explained, "The second brother's soulmate would use a spell and knock him out."

"Did it work?" the girl asked. The man shook his head.

"Sort of," he replied, "The second brother's soulmate managed to weaken the angry God, but the evil sister stopped the spell."

"No!" the girl protested.

"I'm afraid so," the man replied, "But all hope wasn't lost. The evil sister and angry God ran away and the fourth brother began to feel the presence of his soulmate."

"Where was she?" the girl asked, "Was she close by?"

"Not exactly," the man explained, "His soulmate was in the Underworld."

"Grandma's world?" the girl asked.

"Yes," the man replied.

"What was she doing there? She wasn't dead was she?" the girl asked.

"No, she just lived there with her Daddy," the man replied, "Now then, the fourth brother had to journey to the Underworld to get a special item that could make a potion to save the people turned to stone by the evil sister. And that's when he met his soulmate.

"Did he find the item?" the girl asked, "Did his soulmate break his curse?"

"You're getting ahead of yourself, moonbeam," the man told his niece, "Do you remember the curse that the evil sister put on the soulmates?"

"The one that said that they'd lose the brothers, right?" the girl asked.

"That's right," the man replied with a smile.

"But what does that have to do with the fourth brother?" the girl asked.

"Well the fourth brother felt that if he allowed his soulmate to heal him and break his curse, he'd be responsible for taking his brothers away from their soulmates," the man replied.

"He didn't really think that, did he?" the girl asked.

"He did," the man replied and the girl gasped, her blue eyes filled with concern for the fourth brother.

"What happened?" the girl asked, desperate to know more, "Did his soulmate fall in love with him? Did she break the curse?"

The man smiled.

"I think that's enough for one night, little moonbeam," the man replied.

"But I want to hear the rest of the story," the girl protested.

"Maybe I'll ask your Mommy to tell you the rest," he told her, "Now try and get some sleep."

"Okay," the girl sighed. The man smiled and placed a blanket over her small body.

"Goodnight moonbeam," he told her as he kissed her forehead.

"Goodnight," she replied as she closed her eyes and held on to her teddy bear tightly.

The man exited the room, quietly closing the door behind him. He went down the hall and entered his room. He found his wife curled up in bed with a book. Her coal coloured eyes were focused on the page and she hadn't noticed him come in. At least that's what he thought.

"You're staring," she stated without looking up from her book.

"I'm not staring, I'm admiring the most beautiful creature to ever walk the earth," the man replied.

His wife looked up from her book and her lips curved up into a smile. She set the book down on her night table and the man crawled into bed next to her, holding her close. She breathed in his scent and sighed in contentment.

"Did you manage to get the little moonbeam to sleep?" she asked.

"Yes, but I had to tell her a story," the man replied.

"Let me guess, it was the one about the four brothers?" the wife asked.

"How'd you guess?" the man smiled as he kissed the top of his wife's head.

"She's been demanding that story for ages. I think Ryder was the last to tell it to her," the wife replied.

The man smiled.

"Funny how she's hearing the story of her family and doesn't even realize it," he chuckled.

"You told her our part?" his wife asked with a smile.

"Some of it," the man replied, "I didn't finish."

"Well, I feel like a story, love, so why don't you tell the rest to me," his wife suggested.

"I only know certain parts of the story, love," he replied.

"Don't worry I'll help you fill in the gaps," his wife assured him.

"Why don't you start then," the man suggested, "After all, I believe our story began when I arrived and I never knew what was going through your mind at the time."

His wife smiled.

"Alright then," she agreed, "But I expect you to tell some of our story as well."

"Understood," the man replied, "Whenever you're ready, love."

His wife's eyes sparkled with joy as the memories of their story danced behind her eyes.

"Alright then," the wife agreed, "Here goes..."

AN: Thanks for reading! Be sure to drop some comments and vote!