Chapter Eight

*Davina*

I stood on my Father's shores the next day with a bag of clothes on my shoulder. It was time for me to leave with Calix. My beloved Fate hadn't arrived yet. He was saying goodbye to Persephone and Hades.

My Father appeared in his usual vortex of water and looked at me sadly.

"I should have known," he told me, "You were destined to be the soulmate of the Weaver."

"The Weaver...so Calix is...?" I trailed off, unable to finish.

"Clotho," Father replied, "The Weaver. The one who weaves the tapestry of life."

I processed that for a moment. Calix was Clotho. The Weaver of life threads. His emotional abilities made some sense now. He weaved all those threads and became somewhat attached to the lives he created. He felt their emotions. The only problem was that this ability was hurting him.

"Look after him, Davina," Father told me, "And be safe. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to you."

"I'll be careful, Father," I assured him, "And I'll look after Calix as well."

Father nodded, pleased with my response.

There were footsteps and soon Calix stopped next me. There was a bag on his shoulder that probably contained the jars of potion Hecate had given him.

"Thank you for everything, Acheron," Calix told my Father, "You helped us make a cure for the petrified humans in the mortal world. My brothers and I appreciate your generosity."

"Think nothing of it," Father assured him, "Have a safe journey home, Calix."

Calix nodded in thanks and took my hand before turning to look at me.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I replied.

"Travelling through the shadows can be a little scary the first time," he warned me, "But I'm here and I promise I won't let anything happen to you."

I nodded.

"I know," I assured him.

"Shall we go then?" he asked.

"Yeah, let's go," I replied.

The shadows began swirling around us and I watched as our legs became shadows, causing us both to sink down towards the ground. I gasped in fear.

"It's okay," Calix assured me, "I've got you. I'm right here."

I nodded and then our torsos and arms became shadows and we sank down even further. And finally, our heads became shadows and we sank down completely until we were nothing more than shadows on the pavement of the driveway. Then we both slithered away into the darkness.

 Then we both slithered away into the darkness