My hands found the hem of his t-shirt, fingers grazing the bare skin of his stomach as I pulled that shirt up and over his head. His eyes never left mine, searching my face for a sign to stop.

He would never find one. His shirt hit the floor silently and I reached up, placing my hands on his neck. I pulled him down on me again, kissing that panic off his face. He pulled away again, too quickly.

His bit his lip, trying to stop the beast from coming out. Trying to maintain control over his emotions. Somewhere deep down, I knew that there was a darkness around Calix and I believed that it came from the fact that he was an empath forced to place walls around himself. The emotions of others paralyzed him and hurt him. They affected him in dark ways and I saw flashes of that darkness as he struggled to keep his walls up. Was he truly ready to let it all go and heal?

"Are you sure?" he asked. So, it wasn't about him...he was just trying to make sure I was okay with this. My heart swelled with love at how sweet he was. "I don't think I'll be able to stop myself if we take this any further."

"Yes," I said softly, wanting him to let go.

He kissed me again and I felt the barrier between us fall away. And in that moment, I finally understood what had been bothering him. He felt the emotions of others and that consumed him. Fear paralyzed him. Anger burned and cut. Sadness shattered his heart. Jealously bit his skin. Grief destroyed him. And all of that caused Calix to build his walls up so high. He spent years dealing with his pain and then when he finally had the chance to ease it, he refused to do it because he was terrified of letting me see it. But I would do my best to take away his pain. I would make him feel loved and help him to understand that he didn't have to do this on his own. We were two halves of a whole. His pain was my pain.

He pulled away and his hands found the hem of my shirt and he tugged at it gently. He wouldn't pull it away until he was sure. He needed to know if I truly wanted this as much as he did. He needed to know if I was willing to take this further.

"Please," I pleaded, my fingers gripping his neck.

My shirt was ripped down the middle and off my body, tossed aside like it was nothing. He pulled away, but not to protest this time. His dark blue eyes trailed down my torso, taking in everything he could. His fingers were on my hips, knees between my legs.

I kept my eyes on his face as he fought with those last remaining strands of control. Black to blue, then black again.

I almost didn't hear the words as they left his mouth. "I love you," he said, meeting my gaze. I could feel his love for me coming off of him in waves.

"I love you too," I whispered back.

He brought his mouth back down on mine, pressing his bare torso to mine.

And this time he didn't stop. This time, Calix let go completely and his walls completely collapsed, leaving him completely exposed in front of me. And I saw it all. I saw how truly damaged this curse had made him and how his damaged soul longed to be vulnerable. His soul was crying out for mine to help him heal. And I would. I would do my best to heal him. To help him become whole once more.