5

I walk out into the main community center of the base and see probably around 30 people, all around my age, drinking and laughing with one another. I am able to spot Connix standing with Paige and another girl I haven't seen before. I walk over and Connix cheers, obviously happy that I actually showed up. "Elise, meet my little sister, Rose" I have her a wave and she reciprocated it. Rose is a spitting image of Paige, just a slightly rounder face. They wore matching necklaces that seemed to be in the shape of some sort of half moon. 

Paige offered to get me a drink but I declined, if i'm around all these people I need to watch what I say. "Let's go mingle El! I'll introduce you to some of the guys." Connix said dragging me towards the large group of what seemed to be pilots. Connix pushes herself into their circle and introduces me, they all mainly smile back at me with an exception of one guy who looks at me with narrowed eyes. She starts having a conversation with the people around her and Jess walks up to me, "No drinking? Boo you, whore." her words break me into a laugh that i haven't had for years. "Sorry ma'am, gotta keep it safe when I meet new people I'm not trying to say something I regret." 

"Smart. Any guys that look cute to you? Or girls no hate." She surprises me by saying, but I shake my head. "Nope, I'm not really looking for a guy, at this point I just want people to be my friend."
"Just wait till you see our commander, girls usually fall to his feet, he's quite the looker. I've never seen him actually date someone here though."

Her blunt statement made me roll my eyes "Wow I can't wait" I said, causing her to laugh. "What about you do you have a special someone?" She looked somewhat solemn when I asked this. "I did, but she died at a raid about 8 months ago now, her name was Yvette." she has a smile when she thinks back to her but I can't help but feel bad for bringing it up. "I'm sorry for your loss, war really sucks doesn't it?" she let out a dry laugh, putting her cup out to me. "Cheers to that."
When I look up I notice that the guy who was staring at me earlier was still glaring at me. I nudge Jess pointing her to the direction of the man. "Who is that, he keeps staring with looks that could kill?" She looks for who I'm talking about and see him. "Ah how'd I know it would be him. That's Niv Lek. He's nice to his friends but doesn't trust easily, he gets riled up easily." I nodded and kept quiet. 

Soon and Jess told me that a loud voice yell at all of us got our attention. A guy with dark skin and black hair was standing on an old piece of wood with a drink in his hand.

"Hello my people! I'm glad we are all here to celebrate each other and our fight so far, we may still have a long way to go but I think we should be happy about the little things. For Instance, we have a new friend with us! Everyone welcome Elise to our family!" He said this and pointed to me, everyone looked at me and my stomach dropped, but then I heard some "whoops" from the back of the group and people joined them. I smiled them off and said Thank You even though none of them could hear me. He man continued his speech to us and once he was done people started sitting down in these chairs that were set up in some type of circle. At this point there were only about 15 people there so I took a seat between Connix and Jess, everyone in the circle were laughing with each other and telling stories. 

Suddenly I heard my name being called by someone a few seats away from me, the same guy who made the speech. "So Elise, how are you liking D'Qar so far?" when he asked me this laughter was still being heard but mainly everyone started listening to me and what I have to say. I clear my throat of the nerves and start talking to him and the other people in the circle. "I really like it here, the climate is definitely better than the heat of Tatooine". This caused a few laughs from the people, another guy spoke up, "So if you lived on Tatooine, that means you must've been either raised by the Huts or the most powerful jedi ever right?" That one actually made me laugh, "Oh how I wish, sir". With them asking me questions I didn't expect Niv to speak up.

"So you work in tech right?" I nodded my head, scared but I didn't dare show it, "Then why are you wearing one of our fighters armband?" Fuck, I had to come up with something quick. 

"Oh this? Leia just gave it to me, I didn't have any items with me when I came so I wasn't gonna complain with what I got." I laugh, trying to make it seem as if I wasn't stressed. However, when he laughed too my heart rate quickened. "That makes a lot of sense, you look like you would break if someone were to trip you." I was really hoping he didn't say what I heard. 

"Well, actually back at home I was trained in fighting heavily, there's a lot of crooks and criminals so I had to protect myself." He wasn't very convinced. "If that's the case why aren't ya gonna be on the field? Ya scared?" This dude was getting on my last nerve. "I just listened to orders given to me by Leia, even if I could do other things. I'm not in the position to argue with the General." I give a worried look to Jess and Tallie, but they just give me a look as if they're saying that i'm doing good. 

"Well for someone who is so confident in their abilities, why don't you have a little fight with one of our fighter? Hmm who should we pick, wait what about me?" He says while looking towards his friends who are looking at him like he's crazy. 

"I'm sorry but I'm not trying to fight anyone here, I'm happy being behind the computers." Paige pats me on the back but Jess surprises me when she says "Do it Elise, punch that cocky look off his face, he deserves it." When she says this a few others let out shouts of agreement. I can't believe what i'm doing when I stand up with a smile and reach out my hand saying "You're on."

Everyone gets out of their seats to where we will fight, of course no sees this as an actual hate fueled fight except him. People who are on my side stand behind me while the others stand behind Niv. Niv and I stand in the middle staring at each other and i honestly have no clue how I ended up in this position. Jess is standing in between us listing off the rules. "No weapons, no help from other, and once the other person is on the ground for more than 5 seconds or voluntarily tap out then the other officially wins for absolutely no reward except bragging rights." Niv and I nod in agreement to the rules. "Okay fighters get ready in 3. . 2. . 1.. GO"

He of course makes the first move which is easily predictable, I block it with ease and push him back. I respond with a kick, which nails him in the side, he quickly grabs my leg and throws me to the ground. I get up quickly and dodge a punch thrown my way, I come back up and am able to hit in a solid punch to the jaw that causes the crowd to collectively groan for him. He stumbles back and looks at me with a creepy grin, "You're good, too good." "Or maybe you're just not as good as you thought you were." I obviously hit a nerve with that insult and he comes running at me. 

I bring my arm out to get ready to pack in a solid punch, but I realize that it is a poor decision when he grabs my arm that is out and wraps it around me, spinning me into a chokehold with my back against his chest. "You're stuck darling, give up yet?" The stupid pet name he called me realized that he is trying his best to get me mad. He wasn't to see what will happen, and if he gets his way i'll lose it to a point where I'll get kicked out of the Resistance. 

I bring up my leg and with all my might kick it behind me, hitting him where the sun don't shine. He falls to the ground and the guys all groan, knowing how much that can hurt but the girls cheer. "5...4...3...2..1!" Jess counts down and let's out a cheer walking up and bringing my hand up, "And we have our winner." the girls run over and congratulate me, telling me about how i'm such a bad ass. 

When Niv eventually got up I didn't expect him to walk up to me and put out his hand. "I let down my guard and you took advantage of it, good job and welcome to the resistance." I shake his hand with a smile and follow the other girls back to our rooms.
That night I sleep better than I have in a really long time, falling asleep to the sounds of Connix's snores, feeling as if I'm somewhere I finally belong.