Chapter 10 : Hakuna Matata...What a horrible phrase

Start from the beginning

I just winced at the words that came out of her mouth. I hated talking about that letter.

"How long are you staying?" I asked her,  watching her mischievous grin fall into a flat frown.

"Just tonight. Around seven tomorrow, it's hello school." She said dryly.

I let out a little sigh. I missed those times when it would be the four of us. Sure, mum wasn't around, but Harmony's presence always made it a little better.

"Well I'm going to hit the hay. See you in the morning." I got up and started to my room.

*

"I didn't bring much." Harmony said, fixing her bag on her shoulder.

I leaned in the doorway of her old room that was now Aubrey's room. She opened the pink curtains and the sunlight enhanced the room. There was a honk outside and Gabby's happy expression faded.

"Go tell Ms. Jeffrey we're coming."  I told Gabby who only groaned in annoyance.

"I despise that woman." Gabby said through gritted teeth, making her way into the living room.

"Sixty five. Sixty six.  Sixty seven."

"Aubrey, if you brush it anymore it'll fall off." Harmony joked, taking the purple hair brush from Aubrey.

She and Ramona had this weird routine in the morning where they'd brush their hair ninety times before leaving the house. I never understood it and half the time she made us late.

"Hey, give it back. I have twenty three more to go!" Aubrey complained with folded arms.

"I'll meet you guys in the car." I laughed. 

I took one more look at myself in the mirror. My curly brown hair was styled in a lazy topsy tail. My dark blue tank top hid under my black drape cardigan sweater. I turned on the heel of my black ballerina flats and made my way outside.

*

"This is your stop, deary." Ms. Jefferey gave me a heart warming smile as she stroked Sir Doux's fur for the God knows what time since we got in the car.

Harmony had already been dropped off at a friend's house. She and her friend were planning to ride back up to Ohkla for school. Gabby had already been dropped off to her school since we don't attend the same school since our school is a high school. Thank, God. 

"Thanks for the ride, Ms. Jefferey." I thanked her, opening the back seat door. 

The moment I opened the door I was pushed back inside by the four girls who ran over to Aubrey in a rush. Aubrey was the popular sister after all and what I found weird was that fact that she and Serena were actually friends.

Awesome, befriend the person who dreams about the death of your older sister.

"Aubrey! We have news!" One of the girls who was the main one that bumped me back into the car, squealed in excitement

Thanks so much for saying sorry. I really appreciate it.

I got back up and this time properly got out of the car, closing the door behind. I adjusted the strap of my book bag and began walking up the cement steps to the entrance. I got weird stares from some girls, but I just ignored them or at least I tried to. The moment I entered the hallway, I was pulled into a corner. 

I came face to face with Serena Eagan. Her red lipstick lips curled into a smirk. We were practically nose to nose. Her breath was minty and her hair smelled like marshmallows. Yeah, we were that close. But her skunk perfume enveloped my lungs and I could barely breathe. She looked intimidating and the dark corner was boosting the intimidation. She pressed me onto the locker and I tilted my head a little in discomfort.