Chapter 45 : Unforgivable Faults

A warm thanks to the talented @PastryAuthors for the lovely #mediasectioncover and the amazing person who created the current book cover for TNOMC - @Wonderwall6 ! 

Chapter 45 : Unforgivable Faults 

"I heard what happened, Cerise. I know you probably don't want my help after everything I said, but - but I'm the only one who can help you now."

I scoffed. "You can't help me, Kelly. All these years all you've been doing is help me and in case you haven't noticed your help only gets in more predicaments that I couldn't handle."

She closed her eyes and slowly counted under her breath which reminded me of the technique Serena used when she was angry.

 "I know, but this time I'm going to help you and it's going to go as planned. I promise."

What could she possibly do to help me now? Did I even want her help? Maybe I did. I didn't want the entire school finding out about that letter. I'd be the laughing stock of Lincoln Vale.

 I pushed up my glasses and felt the tiny tears that had sneaked up on me. Why was I crying?  Removing my fingers from my face I replied "Fine."

She smiled. "Okay, I know for a fact that Madison hasn't talked to Serena for the entire morning."

"What about yesterday after Thornton talked to her?"

Kelly shook her head. "Madison's mom is pretty strict. Right after Thornton called her in, her mom basically took everything away from her and didn't allow her to see anyone from school."

Wow

I bit my lip then asked "How do you know all of this?"

Kelly shrugged lazily and scratched the back of her neck sheepishly, "Because she was my cousin for a while."

 "Your cousin for a while?" I repeated confusingly.

"My uncle and Madison's mom were hitched for eight months until they called it quits. He filed a divorce because her mom was pretty obsessive, too protective of him and you know clingy."

I wanted to tell her that we should probably continue this conversation somewhere else other than a bathroom, but it was the quietest place in the school and from the looks of it no one had to use it.

"How come you've never told me any of this?" I asked, obviously offended.

She shrugged again. "It didn't feel like something I should have. We're not that close, we kinda drifted even more after the divorce. My mom likes to go to their house though - to check up on Madison."

I arched a curious brow, "Why?"

"Her mom was pretty steamed after she got the call and she tends to hit things when she's pissed." Kelly continued, "You see the reason Madison's sucking up to Serena is not only because she wants to be popular. Serena has seen Madison's mom hit her and I guess Madison's afraid Serena will tell everyone about it."

Now I felt extremely guilty. My heart was now full and I frowned. I wouldn't let my tears fall now. While Madison's life was being ruined she's being doing nothing but trying to ruin mine and everyone else's. Rumor after rumor, all for popularity and maybe even to keep her secret. But was Serena that cruel to spread something like that?

"Okay, what do you suggest we do to stop Madison from telling Serena who wrote the letter?" I asked, watching Kelly wonder around the bathroom, arms folded on her chest.