Chapter 24 : Save Him

Start from the beginning

'Who the fuck is there?' An angry voice calls out. 'Show yourself!'

Midoriya obediently opens the door and steps out, hunched over anxiously with his eyes squeezed shut. 'I-I...I'm sorry! I didn't mean to pry!' He squeaks out.

Bakugou freezes when he sees Midoriya's the small body quivering. His gut twists and he feels sick, memories flashing back through his mind. 'D-Deku.' He croaks out, voice still rough.

Kirishima instantly feels uncertain. Bakugou was still recovering mentally from the whole incident. Him seeing Midoriya right now might just make him clamp up again. Kirishima has made so much progress with Bakugou, finally starting to see the old him again. He can't risk this, he can't let it all go to waste.

Kirishima steps in front of Bakugou protectively. He knows Midoriya is clueless and isn't aware of the impact he's creating on the blonde so Kirishima has to step in. 'Hey Midoriya! I'm Kirishima, your classmate.' He says cheerfully sticking out his hand. 'It's nice to meet you!'

Midoriya thinks over the name. He's heard it somewhere before. Suddenly it clicks. Todoroki mentioned Kirishima, he said that he was the best friend of that guy that came into his room. It's a shame though, he doesn't quite remember the boys face because he was so dazed. But, he can slightly remember what happened.

'Y-You're Bakugou's friend...right? Todoroki told me about you. He said to ask you about him.'

Kirishima's face pales and he can feel Bakugou's mood shift. This was bad, it'll definitely throw Bakugou over.

'Kacchan.' A voice corrects, 'his name is actually Kacchan.'

Midoriya's eyes widen. 'K-Kacchan?' He asks, making Bakugou's heart clench. It was so painful hearing that name fall from his lips. Suddenly they were five again, wandering through the woods and playing.

'But Todoroki said..'

'His name is fucking Kacchan, okay?! Don't listen to that bastard. If I hear you call him anything but Kacchan I'll blow you to fucking pieces, okay?!' Bakugou yells back, his eyes caught on the floor. He couldn't look up, he couldn't be weak.

Bakugou can already feel the pools of tears in his eyes. He's never been this way, he never cries. He's the strong Bakugou, the boy that survived a kidnapping. There's no way that he's going to cry over this idiot.

'I-I'm sorry!' Midoriya squeaks, rushing out the door in a panic.

Kirishima lets out a breath when Midoriya retreats, slowly turning around to look at his friend that was still staring at the floor.

His body was shaking and Kirishima could see the fat tears threatening to drip down his cheeks. 'Bakugou I-'

'Shut up.' Bakugou growls. 'Leave me the fuck alone.' He walks into the baths, back hunched and head down - refusing to look at anyone or anything.

Kirishima feels his chest tighten with anger. He runs after Bakugou and grasps his arm, making Bakugou turn around and push the red head away.

'I said to fuck off.' Bakugou growls again.

'No! I'm not letting you do this to yourself again!' Kirishima screams. 'When are you going to realise that this isn't your fault?! I know you're hurting, but let me be there for you dammit! Stop shutting me out!'

'You have no idea what you're fucking talking about.' Bakugou hisses, slowly looking up at Kirishima with his tear stained cheeks. 'YOU WEREN'T THERE! YOU DIDN'T SEE THE LIFE DRAIN FROM HIS EYES OR FEEL HIS BLOOD DRIPPING ONTO YOUR CLOTHES SO STOP ACTING LIKE YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND!'

'I KNOW I WASN'T!' Kirishima screams back, his throat feeling like it's been torn. 'And I'm sorry! I know you were scared Bakugou and I know I broke our promise. I'm so sorry.' Kirishima starts to sob.

After the Kamino incident, Bakugou had trouble sleeping. He was scared from the memories of torture he'd endured. Kirishima promised him one night that he'd be there next time - he'd endure it with him.

But he wasn't, he wasn't there. He didn't save Bakugou as he promised.

And that tore him apart.

• • •

A/N: Hey guys, how are you all? Sorry that I haven't updated in such a long time. I hope you're all staying safe at the moment.
Also, I plan to hopefully update more often so remember to keep an eyes out!
Thank you so much for all the support. We just reached 2K and I'm honestly so grateful. I hope you enjoy the story so far! 💖