Chapter 36

"I'm not sure that's the best idea, Ali." Neville said softly in the Gryffindor common room. It was well past lights out which was the perfect time for Alison to talk to him, Seamus, Dean and Ginny about pulling back a little on Dumbledore's Army.

"We'd still be meeting in secret, just like last time. I just think we need to be careful about how much we do outside of that. While showing there are still people who refuse to bow down to Voldemort is very important in order to win this war, we have to think about the consequences. Voldemort and his inner circle Death Eaters are still looking for me and Draco and if he finds us here he will kill everyone in the school who stands up against him or has in the past. The more noise we make the easier it will be for him to hear us."

"I think going back into hiding is a good idea." Seamus said from where he sat on the floor in front of the dying fireplace, wincing as Dean tended to a small gash in cheek the Carrows had given him earlier. "We can quietly draw up our strength and numbers and if we ever need to attack it will take them by surprise. No ones expecting a bunch of kids in school to be any good at fighting or even want to."

Dean nodded. "You guys shocked everyone by the fight you put up in the Ministry."

"The Death Eaters weren't expecting a fight and their surprise helped keep them at bay long enough for us to get back up." Ginny said as she curled up into the corner of the couch she was sitting on with Neville and Alison I'm between them.

"That's exactly what we can do here if we have to." Alison looked over at Neville. "Make them think we've given up, that we don't want to fight anymore. Then take them by surprise."

Neville slowly smiled. "Not a bad plan actually."

———

"Aright everyone, we won't be meeting again until after the holidays!" Neville called out to all the students facing him once they had finished their latest D.A. lesson. "Keep practicing and studying at home, alright? And everyone, please be safe!"

As everyone slowly left, only a couple students at a time through the room's many exits to keep from drawing attention from everyone else in the castle, Draco helped Alison, Ginny, Neville, and Luna put away the dummies they had used to practice more intense spells on.

"Are you both going back to the Grimmauld Place for the holidays?" Luna asked, turning to Alison and Draco once they were finished.

"Yeah, Sirius just sent an owl confirming yesterday." Alison said as the small group walked out, the door vanishing behind them.

"Mum said we'd all be there too." Ginny said as she swung her school bag over her shoulder. "Me and twins and mum and dad. Bill and Fleur are at a safe house and Charlie says he's safe wherever he is in Romania. Percy's still a git so he won't be there and... we'll we're not quite sure where Ron is." She whispered quietly with a shrug.

Draco groaned inwardly at the news the Weasels would be joining them at Black Manor. He had quite liked the arrangement he and Alison had over the summer where it had been just the two of them in the large house alone with no one to bother them. Still, the house was still very large, hopefully they'd still be able to have their alone time together and he wouldn't have to talk to any of the redheads very much.

———

"What's been going on with you this year?"

Draco turned from where he was packing his trunk and looked over at Blaise who was sitting on his bed, his trunk already packed, which was the one next to Draco's.

"What do you mean?" He asked then resumed packing.

"We've hardly seen you the past couple months, you keep disappearing, you never provoke anyone with us anymore. And I know it's probably just to make Potter mad but sleeping with his sister is-"