lxxxiii. | not alexandria's fight

RICK CALLED A meeting at the church back in Alexandria to determine how the fighters in the community would be fighting the Saviors

RICK CALLED A meeting at the church back in Alexandria to determine how the fighters in the community would be fighting the Saviors. It was to secure some food from Hilltop, yes, but it wasn't the right thing to do because it was risking everyone's life. There was always another way to do things in this life, always. Violence was not always the answer. If it was, then that would mean they weren't any better than the people they've fought along the way here. All of their friends and family that passed away would be so damn disappointed in them all for doing what they were going to do, all but Shane Walsh who would be doing the same as Rick wanted to now.

Ella had a gut feeling that whatever they did to the Saviors. . . something very bad would happen to them. She didn't like the idea of attacking another group, of joining in on a fight they shouldn't concern themselves with, of probably ruining everything they've built like all the other times they thought they found a home. This was not the way. Too much was on the line for them to do this, like, their home, their lives, their children. They didn't come here to have all of this blood on their hands, they came here to die with a clean slate. She was the only one who thought this was a bad idea, everyone else probably thought it was a good idea.

Sitting on the church's bench with Glenn, Ella held her breath and tightened a hand around his leg, waiting for Rick to give his speech about the Saviors and how attacking them would be for the good of Alexandria, while he stood up at the front of everyone else at the podium. Rick's voice rang out, the chatter zipping to a silence, "We can work with the Hilltop. Maggie hammered out a deal. We're getting food — eggs, butter, fresh vegetables. But they're not just giving it away. These Saviors, they almost killed Sasha, Gerard, Daryl, Brandon, and Abraham on the road. Now, sooner or later, they would've found us, just like those Wolves did, just like Jesus did. They woulda killed someone or some of us. And then they would try to own us. And we would try to stop them."

Ella's jaw clenched from the fury that came over her. Rick was not going to back down, he never did, and that's one of the many things Ella despised about him. He had to learn when to say 'no, I'm not doing that' so that he wouldn't keep getting people killed. Ella was tired of it, she lost so many people she loved and cared for and a lot of the time it was because Rick called the wrong shot. And him wanting to attack was the wrong call. Someone was going to die. Whether it was in this attack, or from the retaliation the Saviors would give them when the scout parties came home to a bloody mess in their own home.

Glenn could feel the tension radiating off Ella as her eyes remained locked on Rick standing in the front of the room. Glenn did not want to do this either, but he wanted to get the food for everyone here. He was sick of rationing out food so much that no one even really ate, mostly everyone was starting to underweight from the low supply of food. Now, doing this, would give them what they truly needed; food. To calm his wife down, he put his arm around her.