xxiii. | the escaped prisoner

THE DAYS AND NIGHTS WERE GETTING COLDER

THE DAYS AND NIGHTS WERE GETTING COLDER. Everyone was now sleeping inside since winter was heading it's way to them, and because Lori was pregnant, so they brought everyone inside. It was hard to squeeze everyone inside, but they knew they could figure it since it wouldn't be impossible to do.

"It'll be tight. Sixteen people in one house." Rick announced as the group surrounded him and Hershel, everyone discussing the room arrangements.

"Don't worry about that. With the swamp hardening, the creek dying up," Maggie came up to the blue truck they stood around, setting down a box. "With fifty head of cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing a damn dinner bell."

Hershel nodded. "She's right. We should've moved you in awhile ago."

Ella watched as part of the group turned away to start moving things into the house, her hands on Carl's shoulder. She looked down at his jacket to make sure it was zipped up before Rick spoke again.

"Alright, let's move the vehicles near each of the doors facing out toward the road. We'll build a lookout in the windmill, another in the barn loft. That should give us sightlines both sides of the property. T-Dog, you take the perimeter around the house. Keep track of everyone coming and going."

T-Dog looked at Rick. "What about standing guard?"

"I need you and Daryl on double duty." Rick ordered, they both nodded and headed off.

"I'll stock the basement with food and water,enough that we can all survive there a few days if need be." Hershel placed a box into the trucks.

Maggie looked up at Rick. "Earlier, we got the upstairs bedrooms set. Beth will be staying with me, Lori, Ella and Carl can take up Beth's room. There's extra pillows and blankets laying all around the house."

Andrea nodded, before setting her gaze on Rick. "What about patrols?"

"Let's get this area locked down first. After that, Shane'll assign shifts while me and Daryl take Randall offsite and cut him loose." Rick spoke.

Shane scoffed. "We're back to that now?"

Rick walked towards him. "It was the right plan first time around. Poor execution."

Shane laughed. "That's a slight understatement."

"You don't agree, but this is what's happening. Swallow it. Move on."

Shane stared at Rick. "You know that Dale's death and the prisoner — that's two separate things, right?" he then looked away, shaking his head. "You wanna take Daryl as your wingman, be my guest."

"Thank you."

Shane nodded as he walked away. "You got it."

____________________________