xlv. | the virus is spreading

ELLA DUG SOME holes with Glenn, Maggie and a few others to bury the ones they lost after the outbreak caused by little young Patrick

ELLA DUG SOME holes with Glenn, Maggie and a few others to bury the ones they lost after the outbreak caused by little young Patrick. They had to honor their dead by putting them to rest so they could go to the next world. It was the bare minimum that mattered to Ella and to the rest of the people in the prison, it was the next best thing right now in this world. So far, her and the group digging up the holes had buried about five or ten people, they had a dozen or so more to go.

Glenn wiped his face with his bandana that had been wrapped around his neck. He panted heavily. He looked off to one of the graves they made, his face filling with anguish. Ella watched him, her heart breaking a little as he stared at the glasses. He noticed she'd been staring at him, so he decided to stare back and give her a smile.

Ella missed the light inside of him. It died when the Governor and Merle put their hands on Maggie and Ella. It comes back every so often, but not as much as it used to.

She stopped digging her hole and approached a corpse wrapped in a bed sheet. She picked it up by the legs and started to drag. . . of course with great struggle. She hated when she couldn't do some of the hard labor work as efficient as some of the men and women here. She needed to start training on her muscle. Her flail arms would get her killed her one day.

"Let me help you." Glenn grunted from behind her.

"I got it!" Ella insisted.

"You're struggling, El!"

"Not as much as you, Glenny."

He glared at her.

"Fine. Be my Prince Charming and save the day." she chuckled lightly.

He picked up the corpses upper body and helped her carry it over to the hole she created earlier. Glenn stepped inside the hole, Ella stayed outside of it. They gently placed it inside the hole.

Glenn looked up at her face, noticing how red she was, how much she was sweating, and how much she was panting. "You should go inside, you look overheated." he pointed out to her.

Ella shook her head, rubbing the back of it harshly. "Not until you go inside."

He sighed. "Why are you so damn stubborn?" he asked her.

Ella lifted her eyebrows in amusement. He usually never got this way with swearing at least, or anyway that involved swearing usually. She kind of liked it, even if he was in a weird mood. "I'll be stubborn if I damn want to."

He crisply laughed and looked at the graves.

She crouched down to his level. "Whenever we get the chance," she placed her hand on his shoulder. "I want to talk about some. . . promises we made each other."

Glenn nodded at her. "Sounds good. Tonight, then?"

She smiled. "Yeah, great."

Then they went back to work.