51. My Time Here Is Done

16-February-2018

*Van's POV*

It's been two months and I wouldn't exactly say they flew by fast. Life returned to normal or as normal as possible. Amy and I haven't seen Adam ever since, but according to Natalie, he's still around trying to figure out what happened. After that day, Adam's group disbanded because there was no purpose. Jess was nowhere to be found and the mirror didn't work.

The town began talking about what had happened. They would snigger about Adam and his failed attempt. I felt bad about it but somewhere deep down inside, a part of me said he deserved it. So now he's in hiding until it all blows over.

Natalie is the only one who still visits him. He still hasn't apologized for what he's done to us but that's fine. As long as I don't see him, I'm happy. The day after the incident, Natalie stopped by to apologize to Amy and I. We forgave her but things aren't how they used to be and she could tell.

I have so much free time now that I can't cross over and it's killing me. I often find myself laying on my bed looking at the ceiling to pass the time. In two months, I've written so many songs it's overwhelming the band. To keep myself busy, we've been working on recording our first album, The Balcony. It's complete but there are some minor things we have to tweak.

I haven't been up to much. I've been spending time with the lads, making music, and spending time with Amy. Occasionally I'd find myself thinking about Jess and Ryan and I would spend hours wondering what they were up to. How did the MCAT go for Jess? I wish I was there to tell her she did just fine—that everything was going to be okay.

Everything I did reminded me of her. The other day I was walking home from the park and I remembered that day she got mad at me for lying to Natalie saying that Jess was my girlfriend. A few weeks back, I noticed new growth on the spider plant she gave me. Amy told me they were spider plant babies and that I could propagate them. I couldn't help but think that Jess would be proud of me but there was no way to let her know.

I would touch the mirror everyday to see if it would work and so far it hasn't. That didn't stop me from trying though. The day after the mirror was broken, I even tried to call and text Jess and Ryan but was unsuccessful. I still had our history of text messages to look back on and thank God the audio messages still played. My favorite is the one where she says I'm fucking crazy.

I can tell that the mirror has changed Amy and I. We're quieter now and often keep to ourselves. It's a drastic change for Amy who is usually bubbly and energetic, but over time, I can see her slowly returning to her normal self.

-

Bondy and I were on the bench in the park having a smoke. To my dismay, Bondy was still feeding the geese bread despite me reminding him what had happened last time. So here we are, two lads on a bench, swarmed by a hoard of geese and the occasional squirrel.

"Bondy, for fuck's sake I'm trying to smoke here but I can't with all these animals here," I groaned to Bondy.

"They haven't got anything to eat Van! They're depending on me to provide them food," Bondy countered.

"They've got tons of grass to eat. This park is full of grass!" I said, raising my hands in exasperation.

"Well they don't like eating grass."

"'Course not! Why eat grass when there's a bozo feeding you bread!"

"Hey!" Bondy replied, glaring at me.

We were now silent and I continued to smoke. To make matters worse, I could see Natalie off in the distance walking towards us. This is the last thing I need right now. This cigarette wasn't helping me relax at all.